Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackburn Rovers 3 Blackpool 0

Unbeaten Run Comes To An End At Ewood

10 March 2018

An Adam Armstrong brace helped Blackburn bring Blackpool’s five-match unbeaten run to an end at Ewood Park this afternoon.

The on-loan Newcastle man found the net twice in the second-half to add to an opener from Bradley Dack in a 3-0 victory for the hosts.

Manager Gary Bowyer made just the one change to the Blackpool side that recorded victory at Portsmouth last time out, and it was an enforced one. Kelvin Mellor was ruled out with injury, so Sean Longstaff returned from a hip problem.

It was the home team who started the game the stronger, with Bradley Dack stinging the palms of Joe Lumley from distance.

Despite the hosts dictating the early possession as well, it was Blackpool who had the best chance to open the scoring inside the first 15 minutes. Viv Solomon-Otabor’s cross found its way to Nathan Delfouneso, via Sean Longstaff, however the forward’s strike deflected over the bar.

Curtis Tilt was the next to try his luck when he found himself in the attacking third soon after, though the defender’s effort failed to test David Raya in goal.

At the other end, Jack Payne drilled an effort wide of Lumley’s far post. A great defensive header from Clark Robertson then prevented Dack from finding the target from 10-yards out.

On-loan Newcastle United man Adam Armstrong had a great opportunity for Rovers with 36 minutes on the clock. The striker was slipped through on goal, forcing Joe Lumley to rush off his line quickly and make the angle to shoot a tight one. Armstrong’s eventual effort was lifted over the ‘keeper but also over the bar.

The opener did come for Blackburn though, and it was in first-half stoppage time. Bradley Dack met an in-swinging Charlie Mulgrew free-kick to head past Joe Lumley.

Half-Time: Blackburn Rovers 1 Blackpool 0

Backed by 1,114 Blackpool fans inside Ewood Park, The Seasiders set out to get back on level terms after the interval but found clear-cut opportunities hard to come by.

Numerous balls were pumped into the box, while Nathan Delfouneso had a shot blocked from inside the area. Kyle Vassell was then unable to divert his glancing header on target.

A great delivery from Viv Solomon-Otabor deserved so much more in the 66th minute, though his dangerous ball across goal just evaded Delfouneso.

Shortly afterwards, Blackburn doubled their advantage. Adam Armstrong picked up the ball just inside the area and curled it into the top corner.

The second goal prompted both sides to make changes, with Craig Conway coming on for the home side and Armand Gnanduillet replacing Jay Spearing for Blackpool.

A double substitution soon followed for The Seasiders, as Danny Philliskirk and Dan Agyei replaced Viv Solomon-Otabor and Kyle Vassell.

The changes brought a bit more fluidity for the final 15 minutes, though it was defender Curtis Tilt who had the best chance of pulling a goal back. The centre-back met a Jimmy Ryan corner delivery at the back post but saw his effort headed off the line by Danny Graham.  

With Blackpool continuing to push for a way back, Blackburn countered and firmly wrapped up the three points with a second from Armstrong in the 90th minute.

Full-Time: Blackburn Rovers 3 Blackpool 0 

Advertisement block