Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Lose Out To Port Vale

Several Under-16s Feature In 4-2 Defeat

18 March 2018

The blustery conditions had a huge part to play in the Under-18s Youth Alliance league game against Port Vale, with the visitors taking the three points away from Myerscough College.

The visitors scored twice in the opening ten minutes, as they kicked with the wind in the first period of play. Kyle Johnson opened the scoring in the fifth minute, with a header from close range.

There was then a defensive error, which allowed Vale striker Lucas Green-Birch in, and he slotted the ball past Harvey Simson to double the lead inside the opening ten.

Blackpool, who fielded several under-16s, nearly got one nearly got one back two minutes later. Will McGladdery whipped a free-kick into the Port Vale box, but ‘keeper Mawgan Blight got their just before an attacker could get his foot to it.

The visitors almost made it three before the 20-minute mark. Matthew Ward broke through from midfield and fired wide from the edge of the area.

Towards the end of the first-half, Harvey Simson was called into action twice to keep the score at 2-0. Firstly, he had to get across to a looping cross that, with the wind, was going in at the far post. Then, the Blackpool goalkeeper dived across to his left to stop Matthew Ward from scoring in the top corner.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Port Vale 2

Just minutes into the second-half, and Port Vale took a three-goal lead. Matthew Ward was the man to score, as he reacted quickest after Harvey Simson got down and parried a firm shot to his left.

A minute later, and Oliver Burgess hit the crossbar. The Blackpool midfielder curled a free-kick in from the left, and it clipped the top of the bar and went over, much to the relief of the Port Vale goalkeeper.

The same position led to a goal for the hosts on the hour mark. Burgess whipped in another free-kick, this time much lower, and Emil Jaaskelainen got a touch to it to divert it into the far corner, bringing Blackpool to within two goals.

Lucas Green-Birch then became the first men into the referee’s book, after not moving away as Harvey Simson tried to clear the ball from his hands.

Ellis Wilson came on for Will McGladdery in an attacking change, in an attempt for Blackpool to get back into the game further.

However, it would be the visitors that scored next, making it 4-1. Lucas Green-Birch got his second of the day, as Vale countered, with the striker passing the ball into the bottom corner, with Harvey Simson having no chance in the Blackpool goal.

Ewan Bange scored in the 88th minute, as the hosts looked for a miraculous recovery in the dying minutes, but it finished 4-2, as Jak Wod and Matthew Liptrott came on for the four added on minutes.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 Port Vale 4

Goals: Jaaskelainen (59’), Bange (88’)

Team: Simson; Maddox (c), Turner, Winstanley, Graham; Burgess, Smith (Wood 89’), McGladdery (Wilson 67’); Ravenscroft (Liptrott 89’); Bange, Jaaskelainen

Unused Subs: Kellett

Advertisement block