Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rotherham United 1 Blackpool 0

Campaign Ends In Narrow Defeat At New York Stadium

5 May 2018

Rotherham United stopper Marek Rodak denied Blackpool a share of the spoils, as the Sky Bet League One season ended in a 1-0 defeat at New York Stadium.

The Millers’ keeper produced a number of saves to retain his side’s advantage, after Will Vaulks had given the home team the lead early in the second-half.

The best Blackpool chance to equalise fell to Kelvin Mellor in the 81st minute, who watched his header tipped onto the post.

Manager Gary Bowyer made just the one enforced change for the game, with Kelvin Mellor replacing the injured Armand Gnanduillet.

With both sides having already secured their objectives for the season, there was a more relaxed manner about the opening 15 minutes. Blackpool were prepared to be patient with possession, especially across the back-line.

It was the home side who had the better chances initially, as Josh Emmanuel fired over and Joe Mattock looped a header over the bar.

An opportunity from a free-kick presented itself for Blackpool when Nathan Delfouneso was brought down in the 20th minute. Sean Longstaff opted to take it and was denied by Marek Rodak in goal.

Despite that effort, The Seasiders were finding it difficult to make the ball stick up-top. Kelvin Mellor and Nathan Delfouneso switched positions in an attempt to try and rectify the issue.

Rotherham were the team piling on the pressure though, as Richard Wood prodded wide from six-yards out and Michael Smith was denied by a superb block from Curtis Tilt.

Will Vaulks skewed a 20-yard shot wide just after, while Viv Solomon-Otabor watched his strike deflect over the bar for Blackpool.

Half-Time: Rotherham United 0 Blackpool 0

A substitution at the interval saw Callum Cooke replace Jimmy Ryan for Blackpool, who started much brighter after the restart.

A great delivery across the six-yard box from Sean Longstaff almost helped break the deadlock for The Seasiders, however Nathan Delfouneso was just unable to get on the end of it.

Not long after, Rotherham found the net. Will Vaulks was given time and space just inside the box to pick his spot and fire in.

Blackpool looked to respond instantly, with Colin Daniel and Callum Cooke both seeing efforts saved by Rodak.

With 23 minutes of the game to go, Blackpool made their second and third changes of the game by introducing Dan Agyei and Mark Cullen for Viv Solomon-Otabor and Sean Longstaff. It meant a switch in formation, with the pair leading the line in a 3-5-2 system.

Nathan Delfouneso probably should have equalised in the 74th minute, with Clark Robertson’s header falling kindly for him to shoot. Unfortunately he fired wide.

At the other end, Christoffer Mafoumbi pulled off a fantastic stop at full strength to deny Vaulks a second.

A towering header from Kelvin Mellor saw Rodak called into action again for the home side, with the ‘keeper this time tipping the ball onto the post.

Dan Agyei then drove down the middle and opted to shoot, despite having Cullen and Delfouneso in support. His effort just fizzed wide of the post.

Agyei almost levelled in added time when he curled agonisingly wide, while Ollie Turton also went close. However, in the end, Rotherham held on for the victory.

Full-Time: Rotherham United 1 Blackpool 0  


Advertisement block