Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 0 Bristol Rovers 3

Visitors Condemn Pool To Second Home League Defeat of Season

3 November 2018

Bristol Rovers inflicted Blackpool’s second league home defeat of the season with a 3-0 victory at Bloomfield Road.

A brace from Ollie Clarke and another from Tony Craig wrapped up a comprehensive result for the visitors, who scored all three goals in the second-half.

As for The Seasiders, they never really got to grips with the game and looked weary from their Carabao Cup performance on Wednesday night.

Manager Terry McPhillips had previously indicated that he would make changes those exertions at Arsenal, though one particular selection was enforced. Goalkeeper Christoffer Mafoumbi replaced the injured Mark Howard, while Curtis Tilt, Harry Pritchard and Mark Cullen returned to the line-up.

It was an action-less start to the game, with neither side able to create an opportunity of note. That was until the 24th minute when Bristol Rovers had two great chances to open the scoring. Liam Sercombe was denied by Mafoumbi after an attacking move down the middle, while captain Tom Lockyer somehow headed over the resulting corner from six-yards out.

At the other end, Mark Cullen came within a couple of inches from putting Blackpool in front, seeing a deflected strike hit the wrong side of the post.

The Seasiders were looking careless defensively, especially from set-plays. Another corner resulted in a visiting player being left unmarked. Luckily, James Clarke nodded narrowly wide.

Nathan Delfouneso managed to readjust his body and divert a Jordan Thompson strike at goal, only to see ‘keeper Jack Bonham deny him.

Thompson then fired a free-kick over the bar, before Jay Spearing’s low drive was saved comfortably by Bonham.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Bristol Rovers 0

A disappointing start to the second-half saw Bristol Rovers take the lead three minutes after the interval. Hesitancy at the back led to space opening up for Ollie Clarke to shoot. Christoffer Mafoumbi got a hand to his effort yet was unable to keep it out.

Blackpool, nowhere near their fluent best, had to dig deep to battle back and came close to levelling when Nathan Delfouneso’s near post header just evaded the net.

A mix-up between Mafoumbi and Bola almost led to the visitors increasing their advantage, however Ben Heneghan scrambled back to head the ball over the bar.

The Seasiders opted to make a double substitution just past the hour mark, introducing Ryan McLaughlin and Michael Nottingham off the bench. Mark Cullen and Liam Feeney were the players to be replaced.

Being urged on, Blackpool saw a header from Ben Heneghan cleared away from the line and a great defensive clearance deny Harry Pritchard an opportunity at the back post.

Not long after, Bristol Rovers went two goals to the good. Tony Craig volleyed in spectacularly at the back post.

Liam Sercombe almost added further gloss to the score-line for the visitors when he sent a drive just wide of the post, while Nathan Delfouneso tried to respond for Blackpool with a header that went over the bar.

A third goal did end up coming for Bristol Rovers though, and it came courtesy of Ollie Clarke with his second of the game. The midfielder was given space to run and toe-poke the ball past Mafoumbi.  

Harry Pritchard had a late chance to score a consolation for Pool, though his strike was kept out by Bonham.

Full-Time: Blackpool 0 Bristol Rovers 3

Advertisement block