Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 3 Accrington Stanley 2

Pool Win But Fail To Qualify For Next Round of Checkatrade Trophy

13 November 2018

Two goals from Joe Dodoo and another from Armand Gnanduillet helped Blackpool come back from behind to beat Accrington Stanley 3-2 at Bloomfield Road.

The Seasiders, who required a victory to try and keep their Checkatrade Trophy qualification hopes alive, unfortunately failed to progress to round two, as Macclesfield Town picked up all three points at home to West Brom’s under-21s.  

The result was still a positive one for the team though, with Dodoo’s brace making it three goals in two games for the on-loan Rangers striker.

Young goalkeeper Myles Boney was one of seven changes from the weekend’s FA Cup first round victory at Exeter City, while Joe Bunney and Donervon Daniels marked their returns from injury.

It was the visitors who made the brighter start to the game, with Piero Mingoia smashing a shot off the underside of the crossbar after just three minutes. Midfielder Scott Brown then saw a 20-yard drive fizz just wide of the post.

That was a sign of things to come, as Accrington made the breakthrough on 17 minutes. Seamus Conneely struck the inside of the post and on-loan Bolton man Connor Hall reacted quickest to smash in the rebound.

Blackpool tried to respond immediately through Armand Gnanduillet, however Jonny Maxted managed to push his effort away for a corner.

The Seasiders’ equaliser came on the half-hour mark, and it came in spectacular fashion. Joe Dodoo, who found the net against Exeter City, flicked the ball up inside the area and scored with an over-head kick.

Connor Hall, the scorer of Accrington’s opener, forced Myles Boney to make sure that an effort didn’t sneak in at the near post. The ‘keeper then prevented a dangerous ball across the six-yard box from reaching its intended target.

At the other end, and with half-time approaching, Joe Dodoo scored his and Blackpool’s second of the evening. The on-loan Rangers man latched on to a through ball from Callum Guy, calmly rounded the ‘keeper and tucked the ball into the back of the net.

Half-Time: Blackpool 2 Accrington Stanley 1

The opening 15 minutes of the second-half was pretty chanceless, leading to Blackpool making a double substitution. Joe Dodoo and Callum Guy were taken off with Saturday’s match at Southend in mind, to be replaced by Steven Davies and Harry Pritchard.

It was the former who had an involvement in the third goal for Blackpool. Ryan McLaughlin’s ball in was diverted into the path of Armand Gnanduillet by Davies, allowing the French striker to take a touch and then find the bottom, far corner.

Myles Boney pulled off a super stop to deny Jordan Clark from pulling a goal back for the visitors. Clark’s strike had Boney readjusting his position after taking a wicked deflection off Joe Bunney.

Harry Pritchard had a chance to make it 4-1 for Blackpool, only to be prevented from doing so by Maxted. The Accrington stopper then kept out a close-range header from substitute Davies.

Donervon Daniels deflected another Clark strike over the bar with a minute left of normal time, prior to the visitors winning a late penalty. Joe Bunney was the man who committed the foul, leading to Connor Hall converting his second of the game from the spot.

The goal wasn’t enough to deny The Seasiders from bowing out of the competition with a victory, though.

Full-Time: Blackpool 3 Accrington Stanley 2

Advertisement block