Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Doncaster Rovers 2 Blackpool 0

Winning Run Brought To An End

27 November 2018

Blackpool’s five-match winning run was brought to an end at the Keepmoat Stadium, as Doncaster Rovers recorded a 2-0 victory.

Goals from Herbie Kane and John Marquis sealed the three points for the hosts, though The Seasiders will be disappointed not to have made some big, first-half chances count.

Joe Bunney, making his first league start since August, was one of four changes to the Blackpool side for the match, joining Ryan McLaughlin, Harry Pritchard and Nathan Delfouneso in the line-up.

It was the hosts who dictated the opening possession, however Blackpool made better use of the ball, creating two good opportunities to take the lead. Firstly, Curtis Tilt had a shot blocked in the area, then Nathan Delfouneso was unable to beat ‘keeper Ian Lawlor from close range after connecting with a flick on from Armand Gnanduillet.

At the other end, Ali Crawford picked out his spot to shoot, only to see his effort deflect agonisingly wide of the post.

Jordan Thompson fizzed a great ball across the six-yard box after a good Blackpool counter, though his delivery just evaded Armand Gnanduillet.

A glorious chance then presented itself to Joe Bunney, who worked the play well down the left. After a quick one-two with Gnanduillet, he was unable to apply the finish.

With the interval looming, Doncaster broke the deadlock in stunning fashion. Herbie Kane opened his body up and struck a 25-yard strike that bounced down off the bar and into the back of the net.

Half-Time: Doncaster Rovers 1 Blackpool 0     

Blackpool, now pushing to get back on level terms, were finding it hard to carve out similar attacking opportunities immediately after the break, leading to Michael Nottingham and Joe Dodoo being introduced either side of the hour mark.

It was an Armand Gnanduillet strike that came close to giving Blackpool an equaliser though, with his 20-yard drive going just wide of the far post.

The hosts, meanwhile, were trying to exploit space on the counter attack with the pace of Alfie May.

The game was bound to become stretched now in the final 15 minutes, especially with Blackpool reverted to a back four. Chris Taylor replaced Joe Bunney, which resulted in Curtis Tilt moving over to left-back.

A few minutes later, Doncaster hit Blackpool on one of those counter attacks and scored a second through John Marquis. A charged down shot broke to him just inside the area and he tucked the ball away into the bottom far corner.

Substitute Mallik Wilks drove forward down the right and carved out another opportunity, but his shot was fired straight at Mark Howard.

Wilks was causing problems for the Pool defence and drew a foul from Ben Heneghan four minutes from time. Herbie Kane stepped up to take the free-kick and rattled the crossbar.

With Blackpool unable to create the same attacking chances in the second-half, Doncaster saw the result out comfortably in the closing stages.

Full-Time: Doncaster Rovers 2 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block