Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Gillingham 0 Blackpool 1

Delfouneso Goal Secures The Three Points

6 November 2018

Nathan Delfouneso’s fourth goal of the season helped Blackpool bounce back with a 1-0 victory away to Gillingham.

The forward found the net just after half-time, nodding in a glorious cross from Chris Taylor to give the side an advantage to hold on to.

A real defensive effort was required to secure all three points, though Blackpool held firm under some high balls.

Manager Terry McPhillips made three changes to his side for the match, with Michael Nottingham, Chris Taylor and Callum Guy starting at Priestfield Stadium.

It was the hosts who looked the livelier in the opening period though, particularly through the outlets of Brandon Hanlan and Tom Eaves up front.

Gillingham’s first real opportunity almost resulted in an opener, as Connor Ogilvie struck the top of the bar with a strike from 20-yards out. Another effort soon followed from Darren Oldaker, but he dragged his shot wide from a similar distance.

At the other end, Curtis Tilt felt he had a big claim for a penalty in the 27th minute, as he tumbled to the ground following a corner delivery. Referee Craig Hicks deemed the challenge a fair one and allowed play to continue.

Callum Guy did well to intercept a loose pass and start Blackpool off on a counter attack, however the supporting Mark Cullen was unable to find Nathan Delfouneso with his delivery.

Christoffer Mafoumbi was called into action as the half-time interval approached, pushing clear a swerving free-kick and then tipping over a headed rebound.

Half-Time: Gillingham 0 Blackpool 0

The Seasiders almost made the perfect start to the second-half, with Mark Cullen inches away from converting Marc Bola’s delivery across the six-yard box.

It proved to be a warning sign, as Blackpool took the lead three minutes later. Chris Taylor did well to keep the ball in play over on the far side and cut inside to deliver a pin-point cross that Nathan Delfouneso headed in.

With Gillingham now searching for an equaliser, Blackpool opted to introduce Jordan Thompson off the bench for Taylor. The Northern Ireland international took up his usual position in front of Jay Spearing and Callum Guy.

The hosts continued to pump balls into the Blackpool box at every opportunity, many of which came from set-plays. The defence stood firm, though.

Christoffer Mafoumbi was then required to get across goal and save a low drilled strike from right-back Mark Byrne.

Jordan Thompson tried his luck at the other end, forcing Tomas Holy to pounce on the ball at the second attempt after initially fumbling his strike.  

Gillingham substitute Josh Parker worked himself some space on a Gillingham attack and was denied by a fantastic save from Mafoumbi in added time to preserve Blackpool’s advantage and seal the three points.

Full-Time: Gillingham 0 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block