Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Solihull Moors 0 Blackpool 0

Replay Required To Settle Cup Tie

30 November 2018

A stalemate at Solihull Moors left Blackpool having to settle for a replay in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup.

On a testing night, it was the National League hosts who took the game to The Seasiders and provided a few scares.

Meanwhile, Blackpool’s best opportunities fell to Joe Dodoo and Harry Pritchard, who were both denied by ‘keeper Ryan Boot.

Manager Terry McPhillips made four changes for the tie, with former Solihull man Michael Nottingham joining Marc Bola, Chris Taylor and Joe Dodoo in the XI.

Given the occasion, it was the hosts who started the brighter, forcing Mark Howard to make two routine saves. The first was from a 20-yard Jamey Osborne strike and the other a header from Luke Maxwell.

Solihull’s Danny Wright then had the opportunity to try and find the target with a volley, however he blasted the ball wide of the far post.

The returning Michael Nottingham was left unmarked for Blackpool at the other end, but he was unable to keep his header from rising over the bar.

Joe Dodoo was the next to register an attempt for The Seasiders, sending a low drive just wide of the near post.

The National League side had the ball in the Blackpool net on 27 minutes, though any celebrations were cut short as the referee had blown his whistle for offside in the build-up.

A mix up between defender and goalkeeper for Solihull then presented Armand Gnanduillet with a good chance to try and give Blackpool the lead. Unfortunately, the Frenchman blazed over.

Danny Wright then sent another Solihull header straight at Mark Howard, as the sides went in level at the break.

Half-Time: Solihull Moors 0 Blackpool 0

Armand Gnanduillet had a great opportunity to put Blackpool ahead just four minutes after the restart, only to shoot straight at the ‘keeper from close range.

The goalkeeper was tested soon after though, and it was to deny Joe Dodoo. The on-loan Rangers man cut inside his man and forced the stopper to parry his low drive away from the bottom corner.

Two minutes after picking up a yellow card for halting a counter-attack, Chris Taylor was withdrawn and replaced by Harry Pritchard for Blackpool.

The Seasiders were seeing more of the ball in the second-half and looking slightly more composed in possession, but that clinical edge was still missing.

In the meantime, Solihull’s top scorer Adi Yussuf saw the Blackpool defence open up and attempted to find the back of the net. A vital block from Curtis Tilt sent his effort wide, though.

Substitute Harry Pritchard then had Blackpool’s best chance to take the lead after bursting into the box, only to be denied by the ‘keeper.

Having been unable to convert a cross from Marc Bola, Joe Dodoo’s night came to an end in the 83rd minute when Liam Feeney was introduced off the bench.

It was the hosts who continued to threaten though, with Blackpool needing Donervon Daniels to pull off a sliding block tackle to prevent Jamey Osborne from giving them the lead.

Despite three minutes of added time, neither side could find the breakthrough, meaning a replay will be required at Bloomfield Road.

Full-Time: Solihull Moors 0 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block