Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Southend United 1 Blackpool 2

Gnanduillet Heads In Late On To Secure All Three Points

17 November 2018

Armand Gnanduillet’s sixth goal of the season helped Blackpool make it four wins on the spin with a 2-1 victory at Southend United.

The striker popped up in the 83rd minute to restore The Seasiders’ advantage after Jason Demetriou had cancelled out a first-half opener from Ollie Turton.

The win was Blackpool’s first since 2001 at Southend, who ended the game with 10 men following the dismissal of Michael Turner.

Mark Howard, Marc Bola and Jay Spearing all returned for the game, which saw manager Terry McPhillips revert to a 3-5-2 formation. Joe Dodoo, having found the net three times in his last two games, was rewarded with his first league start since September.

Despite the hosts setting the early tempo, it was Blackpool who registered the first opportunity. Armand Gnanduillet challenged for a Dodoo cross at the back post, only to nod wide.

Southend then went close themselves, as Michael Kightly pounced on some hesitancy at the back. The winger spotted Mark Howard off his line and attempted to chip the him, however his effort came back off the inside of the post.

Not long after, Blackpool made the breakthrough, and it came from an unlikely source. Ollie Turton made a well-timed run into the six-yard box to convert Marc Bola’s cross and score his second goal for the club.

Stephen Hendrie and Simon Cox both attempted to quickly levels things again for Southend, with the latter glancing narrowly wide.

An injury to Dru Yearwood forced the home side into a change on the half-hour mark following a collision with Callum Guy. Shawn McCoulsky was the man to replace him.

Michael Kightly curled another strike wide of the target prior to the interval, but it was Blackpool who had the advantage at the break.

Half-Time: Southend United 0 Blackpool 1

Jay Spearing got the game back underway for Blackpool, and it was the skipper who came close to doubling The Seasiders’ advantage, racing onto the ball and seeing his deflected strike cannon back off the bar.

His midfield partner Callum Guy was soon forced off with an injury complaint though, leading to the introduction of Harry Pritchard off the bench.

A long kick downfield from Mark Howard almost presented Armand Gnanduillet with an opportunity to finish, however he was unable to control the ball and work the opposition goalkeeper.

Howard was then called into action at the other end, doing well to push over a rasping strike from Stephen Hendrie.

The Southend crowd were trying to play their part for the hosts, appealing for two penalties in a matter of minutes. Both challenges were fair from Curtis Tilt, though.

An equaliser did come for Southend with 74 minutes on the clock. Jason Demetriou was the scorer, connecting with a ball clipped to the back post.

Rather than dwell on conceding, Blackpool plugged away to re-take the lead and did so with seven minutes of normal time remaining. A great cross from Harry Pritchard was met by Armand Gnanduillet, who headed in from eight-yards out.

Southend were then reduced to 10 men after Michael Turner was shown a red card for what the referee deemed to be a stamp.  

Blackpool then did what was required to see out the result and head back north with the three points.

Full-Time: Southend United 1 Blackpool 2

Advertisement block