Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Under-18s Fight Back To Beat Preston

Youth Team Edge Five-Goal Encounter

18 November 2018

Blackpool’s youth team capped off a stunning comeback against Preston North End, fighting back from two goals down to win 3-2 in the 90th minute.

The visitors took the lead with two goals inside the opening seven minutes, before Andy Kanga and Sam Maddox replied to bring Blackpool back level. Then, in the dying embers of the game, an own goal from a Nathan Shaw free-kick ensured the three points for the home side.

Virtually straight from kick off, the visitors got the first goal of the game. Ethan Walker cut in from the left wing onto his right foot and hit a venomous shot past Harvey Simson into the top corner.

Blackpool just couldn’t get going, and a few minutes later Preston got a second. The visitors won a corner which was taken by Jerome Jolly. He whipped the ball in close to Simson, but he didn’t deal with it and the ball found its way into the back of the net.

The two early goals gave PNE confidence. Ethan Walker looked to get down the line and past Tom Williams, but the Blackpool defender stopped him from getting any further by bringing him down with a late challenge, which resulted in the first yellow card of the game.

The hosts then settled and looked to play. Ryley Smith picked the ball up in midfield and played a nice through ball to Andy Kanga, he beat his man to get into the area, but the Preston defender was there to cut him out and put the ball out for a corner.

Blackpool continued to press for a goal. Ewan Bange played a nice ball around the corner of the defender to Nathan Shaw, who took the ball on and shot from range, but he saw his effort sail over the bar.

Then the lifeline goal came. A ball played from the Blackpool defence was latched onto by Kanga. He raced through on goal where he then took the ball around the on-rushing keeper to fire into the back of the net.

Just like their opponents did, Blackpool then got another quick goal. This time the hosts attacked well down the left, McGladdery and Kanga exchanged some nice passes which allowed Kanga to play the ball to Sam Maddox on the edge of the box, he set himself to hit a 25-yard first time strike which rocketed past the visiting keeper.

Just before half-time Preston regained the lead. A ball crossed in by Lewis Simmons to the back post found Louis Potts at the back post, but he couldn’t quite get his shot away and the ball trickled to Simson.

Half-Time: Blackpool 2 Preston North End 2

Blackpool got the second half underway, but it was Preston who had the first chance of the half. Tricky play from Walker allowed him to get into the 18-yard box, he played it back to his team-mate, but his shot went wide of the post.

The home side then won a free-kick on the halfway line. Maddox whipped a teasing ball into the area, but the ball evaded everyone and went out for a goal kick.

Preston then attacked well and worked the ball into the area, but as they entered, Will Avon was there to clear for a corner. The corner was taken and met by a Preston head, but that effort went over the bar.

At the other end, Nathan Shaw looked to create something for Blackpool. He initially lost the ball but then won it back high up the pitch, he got past his man to hang a ball up to the back post, but the away side cleared.

It then looked as though Preston would score a third, but Jolly’s who lifted shot was cleared away by Harry Winstanley before finding the net.  

A quiet final ten minutes only brought half chances for both sides until Blackpool got a last-gasp winner.

The home side won a free-kick out wide after Jack Armer brought down Max Rogers. Nathan Shaw crossed into a dangerous area towards tangerine shirts, but the ball found its way into the back of the net off a Preston head to secure the victory.  

Blackpool: Simson (Kellett), Williams, Winstanley, Maddox, Avon, Smith (Beaumont), Sinclair (Ravenscroft), Shaw, Bange, Kanga (Rogers), McGladdery

Unused: Turner

Advertisement block