Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shaw Brace Sees Youth Team Beat Bury

Under-18s Win 2-1

21 October 2018

Nathan Shaw was the standout man in a tightly contested game against Bury, netting a brace in the youth team’s 2-1 victory.

The winger struck a shot into the top corner, moments before slotting a penalty away to put the under-18s in a strong position. Despite Bury pulling one back courtesy of an own goal, the hosts held on to take all three points.

Both teams started the game looking to get on top, with most of the opening five minutes played in the middle third.

The first attack of the game came from Blackpool. Sean Graham with great individual work down the left was then able to cross into the middle, but the visitors cleared.

Bury were looking to settle their nerves, which they nearly did. A ball down the line was chased by the Bury winger, he got the ball under control and shot towards goal, forcing a save from Aiden Hunt which deflected onto the post.

Then down the other end, Blackpool had a dangerous free-kick on the edge of the box. The ball was floated in and Bury couldn’t clear. It then fell to Ravenscroft who shot over the bar.

Great play between Nathan Shaw and Emil Jaaskelainen gave Shaw the chance to cross, but it evaded everyone. He then got the chance to cross again, this time finding Graham at the back post who connected sweetly and volleyed the ball onto the post.

After a long stoppage, play got underway again. Straight from the restart Blackpool had a corner. Shaw crossed towards Jaaskelainen, he flicked the ball on to Bange at the back post, who set himself and fired at goal, only for his effort to be cleared off the line by the visitors.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Bury 0

Straight from the whistle Blackpool were lively and pressing Bury. That pressing was almost successful. Shaw crossed into the box, Bange flicked on and the ball then fell to Ryley Smith, who struck a venomous shot which hit the post.

With Blackpool attacking freely, Nathan Shaw again ran down the wing, crossing this time towards Sean Graham, who volleyed a shot over the bar.

Blackpool’s persistence eventually paid off. After trying his best to create for his team-mates, Shaw created a goal for himself. Running down the wing, he got the better of his man by cutting in on his left foot and striking into the top corner to give Blackpool the lead.

After the goal, The Seasiders continued to attack and were then awarded a penalty. The referee deemed a pull in the box a foul and pointed to the spot. Shaw stepped up and slotted the ball into the bottom left corner to give Pool a two-goal lead.

Bury were then looking for a response, and they nearly had one. They got forward well and The Shakers’ striker was sent through on goal, only to be met by substitute goalkeeper Charlie Monks who gathered the ball.

The visitors then pulled a goal back. A cross from the right came in and an unfortunate bounce in front of captain Will Avon saw him turn it into his own goal.

In the final few minutes of the game Nathan Shaw tried to make certain of the three points, but his shot sailed over the bar in what was the final kick of the game.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 Bury 1

Blackpool: Hunt (Monks), Williams, Winstanley, Maddox, Avon, Smith, Graham, Ravenscroft, Bange, Jaaskelainen, Shaw

Advertisement block