Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 2 QPR 0

Goals From Gnanduillet and Spearing See Pool Progress Again In Cu

25 September 2018

Goals from Armand Gnanduillet and Jay Spearing helped Blackpool book a place in the fourth round of the Carabao Cup for the first time since 2007 with a 2-0 victory against QPR.

It was another strong performance from The Seasiders, who saw their opponents reduced to 10 men with 20 minutes of the tie remaining.

Manager Terry McPhillips made five changes to his side for the tie, with Michael Nottingham, Callum Guy, Joe Dodoo, Ryan McLaughlin and Armand Gnanduillet stepping up from the bench.

The visitors, captained by former Seasider Alex Baptiste, registered the first attempt on goal inside two minutes, when Ilias Chair drilled the ball straight at Mark Howard.

At the other end, Curtis Tilt was unable to beat Matt Ingram following a neat run at the back post, while a fizzing cross from Jordan Thompson was crying out for a touch inside the six-yard box.

Jay Spearing had the best chance of the opening 20 minutes, forcing Ingram to push his free-kick strike away from the bottom corner.

Ingram was proving to be the busier ‘keeper, as he was next called into action to save a header from Ben Heneghan.

QPR’s Josh Scowen was substituted in the 25th minute after walking a fine line. Having been booked and then committed another foul, Steve McClaren opted to substitute him for Sean Goss.

Soon after, Blackpool took the lead. Ben Heneghan won a header at the back post, allowing Armand Gnanduillet to latch onto the ball and fire in from close range.

Jay Spearing blasted the ball over the bar as Blackpool pushed for a second prior to the interval. Meanwhile, ill discipline continued to cost the visitors, who ended up with four players being shown yellow cards.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 QPR 0  

QPR replaced another player on a booking for the second-half, as Paul Smyth entered the field of place in place of Ilias Chair.

Ryan McLaughlin could have doubled Blackpool’s advantage just a couple of minutes after the restart, however he was unable to keep his effort on target.

Joe Dodoo moved past his man down the left in an attempt to create an opening before firing a low strike that the ‘keeper managed to save.

QPR were then reduced to 10-men in the 70th minute after Jordan Cousins received a second yellow card. It had been coming, given the amount of fouls committed by opposition players.

Callum Guy left the field to a great reception from the Blackpool fans after an industrious display in midfield for The Seasiders. Ollie Turton was the man to take his place in the middle of the park. Another change soon followed, with Nathan Delfouneso replacing the goal-scorer, Armand Gnanduillet.

Jordan Thompson looked to make the score-line a little more comfortable with a couple of minutes remaining, however he blazed over the bar from 25-yards out.

Nathan Delfouneso went closer in his attempt to wrap the game up, seeing his strike deflect agonisingly wide of the post.

The second goal was to come though, with Jay Spearing finding the top corner in the 90th minute.

The result sealed a place in the fourth round of the Carabao Cup and extended Blackpool’s unbeaten run in all competitions to 11 games.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 QPR 0

Advertisement block