Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 3 Bradford City 2

Dramatic Late Comeback Seals Three Points

8 September 2018

Three goals in six minutes saw Blackpool come back from behind to beat Bradford City 3-2 in a dramatic clash at Bloomfield Road.

Having dominated for large periods, The Seasiders found themselves two goals down just after the hour mark, but fought back in resounding fashion.

Captain Jay Spearing started the rally by converting from the penalty spot in the 84th minute, before seeing another penalty saved, only to smash in the rebound.

It was then left to Curtis Tilt to become the match-winner, with the defender smashing in on 90 minutes to make amends for a spot-kick he had conceded at the other end.

Mark Howard, Curtis Tilt, Jay Spearing, Jordan Thompson, Nathan Delfouneso and Mark Cullen were all restored to the side after being rested in midweek, while Donervon Daniels returned from injury.

It was Jordan Thompson who registered Blackpool’s first shot on target, forcing ‘keeper Richard O’Donnell to turn the ball behind.

Nathan Delfouneso was then presented with a glorious opportunity to hit the target, but he blazed Mark Cullen’s flick on high and wide.

The chances kept on coming for The Seasiders, with Curtis Tilt frustrated not to find the net with a free header from a corner delivery.

Donervon Daniels made a rampaging run through the heart of the pitch before being urged to shoot by the crowd, however his end product was lacking.

At the other end, Eoin Doyle looked to create an opportunity for George Miller, who peeled off his man before nodding wide.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Bradford City 0

Blackpool continued to dominate proceedings after the interval and carved out another good opening with 52 minutes on the clock. Marc Bola cut the ball back for Pritchard to shoot, but the former Maidenhead man was denied by a big save from Richard O’Donnell.

Jordan Thompson opened up a sight on goal for himself moments later, though his curling effort sailed just over the bar.

The Seasiders were made to pay for not taking their opportunities in the 59th minute when the visitors were awarded a penalty. Curtis Tilt brought down Kelvin Mellor in the box, allowing Eoin Doyle to step up and convert from the spot.

It soon became 2-0. Substitute David Ball had an immediate impact on the game, causing problems up-top before spotting the run of Jack Payne, who made no mistake with the finish.

Just prior to Bradford doubling their advantage, Blackpool introduced Ryan McLaughlin and Armand Gnanduillet off the bench. The pair now needed to make big impacts to get The Seasiders back into the contest.

A super ball across the six-yard box from Marc Bola should have resulted in at least one goal being pulled back, however both Delfouneso and Feeney were unable to slide in and convert.

Blackpool, who also brought Michael Nottingham on, continued to push for a way back. Jordan Thompson saw a strike cleared off the line and Richard O’Donnell somehow pushed a Donervon Daniels effort onto the underside of the bar and out.

The lifeline finally came in the 84th minute, when Jay Spearing scored from the penalty spot. The goal was the midfielder’s first for the club and came after Gnanduillet was clattered by the Bradford ‘keeper.

The drama escalated from there, as Pool won another penalty. Curtis Tilt, now playing as a makeshift forward was the man fouled this time, allowing Jay Spearing another chance to convert. This time his strike was saved, but he was first on hand to smash in the rebound and make it 2-2.

There was still chance for the comeback to be completed yet though, with Curtis Tilt making amends for his penalty giveaway by smashing in after Richard O’Donnell had fumbled a cross.

Full-Time: Blackpool 3 Bradford City 2

Advertisement block