Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Plymouth Argyle 0 Blackpool 1

Cullen Goal Sees Pool Record Victory

15 September 2018

Mark Cullen’s third goal of the season was enough to secure Blackpool all three points at Plymouth Argyle, despite The Seasiders ending the game with nine men.

Donervon Daniels and Marc Bola were sent off in second-half stoppage time, leaving the side to manage some late pressure to extend an unbeaten run to nine games.  

Manager Terry McPhillips kept faith with the same line-up that took to the field against Bradford City at Bloomfield Road a week earlier, with the subs’ bench also unaltered.

Mark Cullen had a good chance to open the scoring after seven minutes, however he was unable to convert Harry Pritchard’s ball across the box.

The link-up then worked second time round as Blackpool took the lead. Pritchard burst into the box before firing towards goal, where Cullen pounced to tap in from close range.

Jordan Thompson would have made it two had it not been for a Plymouth man cleared his strike away from the line.

Graham Carey tested Mark Howard at the other end, cutting inside before forcing the Blackpool stopper to parry away his effort.

Cullen was left unmarked to try and grab a second goal of the afternoon prior to the half-hour mark, however he headed over the bar from six-yards out.

Freddie Ladapo almost levelled matters for the hosts with a near-post flick, but luckily for The Seasiders the ball cannoned back off the post before being pounced on by Mark Howard.

Blackpool lost Harry Pritchard to injury in first-half stoppage time, resulting in John O’Sullivan being introduced.

Half-Time: Plymouth Argyle 0 Blackpool 1

Mark Cullen almost got Blackpool off to the best start for the second-half, yet a scampering Matt Macey just about managed to tip his shot round the post.

A spell of pressure from the home side broke down when Yann Songo’o blazed over the bar. Antoni Sarcevic also had an opportunity when nodding wide from a corner.

The Seasiders attempted to change the pattern of the second-half by making their second change of the match, with Ryan McLaughlin replacing Liam Feeney out wide.

One of Plymouth’s best opportunities followed, as Mark Howard was forced to tip over a rising strike from Ryan Edwards.

Goalscorer Mark Cullen left the field in the 71st minute to the appreciation of the 162 travelling Pool fans. Armand Gnanduillet was the man to take his spot up front.

Pool were still struggling to retain possession in attacking areas though, and that was allowing wave after wave of pressure from Plymouth.

A chance to wrap up the three points went begging in the 78th minute when John O’Sullivan, unmarked, headed wide.

Plymouth, urged by a vocal home crowd, continued to push forward in search of a leveller, but Blackpool managed the game out to take all three points.

Full-Time: Plymouth Argyle 0 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block