Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Barnsley 2 Blackpool 1

Host Fight Back To Beat Seasiders

27 April 2019

Barnsley came back from behind to beat Blackpool 2-1 at Oakwell and retain their place in the automatic Sky Bet League One promotion spots.

Goals from Cauley Woodrow and Liam Lindsay, either side of half-time, cancelled out Harry Pritchard’s sixth of the season, which had earlier given Pool the lead.  

Liam Feeney struck the post with minutes remaining as The Seasiders looked to battle back, yet The Tykes saw the result out.

Midfielder Matty Virtue missed the game due to injury, resulting in a start for Harry Pritchard, while Antony Evans started ahead of Chris Long. There was also a welcome return for Jimmy Ryan as one of the seven substitutes.

After a quiet opening 15 minutes to the game, Blackpool took the lead. It was Pritchard who found the net, latching on to a lay-off from Armand Gnanduillet before seeing his strike find the bottom corner, via a deflection.

Barnsley looked to respond immediately, with Mamadou Thiam heading over from eight-yards out and a crucial intervention from Ben Heneghan required to block off a stinging shot from Mike Bahre.

It was vital that The Seasiders retained their shape and continued to frustrate the hosts, who were dominating possession. Cameron McGeehan opted to try his luck from 25-yards out and just flashed his effort past the far post.

The pressure kept on coming from Barnsley and it took an important save from Chris Mafoumbi to prevent Thiam from slotting in a leveller.

A minute later, The Tykes found the equaliser. Forward Cauley Woodrow had a go from distance and found the bottom corner.

McGeehan tried to quickly give Barnsley the lead, however Mafoumbi was equal to his strike prior to the interval.

Half-Time: Barnsley 1 Blackpool 1

Nathan Delfouneso was introduced for the second-half, taking the place of Nya Kirby down the left-hand side.

But it was still Barnsley who dictated the flow of the game, seeing Cauley Woodrow hit a deflected one over the bar and Bahre do likewise with his head.

It then took a fingertip save from Chris Mafoumbi to tip over a curling strike from the man he denied in the first-half, Mamadou Thiam.

Just prior to the hour mark, Barnsley did go in front. A near post run from Liam Lindsay was picked out by Cameron McGeehan, allowing the defender to convert from a corner.

Liam Feeney was instantly brought on as Blackpool searched a way back, though that didn’t prevent the waves of Barnsley attacks. Cauley Woodrow probably should have wrapped the game up from eight-yards out, however he dragged his strike wide.

Kieffer then had a glorious opportunity to score a third for the home side, yet he volleyed over from six-yards.

Liam Feeney almost salvaged a point for Blackpool late on, smashing an effort against the post at the back stick.

Full-Time: Barnsley 2 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block