Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Scunthorpe United 0 Blackpool 0

Seasiders Held A Stalemate At Glanford Park

19 April 2019

Blackpool picked up their first clean sheet in 11 games, as they were held to a goal-less draw at Scunthorpe United.

The Seasiders dominated for large periods at Glanford Park, however they couldn’t make that dominance count, with Matty Virtue twice denied by Iron ‘keeper Jak Alnwick.

Chris Mafoumbi needed to make a big save for Blackpool late on though, tipping a powerful header from Lee Novak over the bar.

Manager Terry McPhillips made two changes from the defeat to Peterborough, restoring Jordan Thompson and Antony Evans to the starting line-up.

The pair looked lively in the opening stages, with Evans seeing a cross turned behind and Thompson going close with a drive from the edge of the box.

The most joy was coming down the left for Blackpool though, courtesy of Marc Bola. The left-back found space time and again to whip deliveries across the box.

Despite the strong start, a blow was dealt in the 18th minute when Ollie Turton sustained an injury in the act of clearing the ball. An early substitution was required, leading to Liam Feeney taking his place in the back four.

Jordan Thompson went close with another strike from 20-yards out as Blackpool continued to dominate possession, while a vital intervention was required by Curtis Tilt at the other end to block off a shot from Jordan Hallam.

Chris Mafoumbi was then called into action to push away a 20-yard drive from Hallam as the 40-minute mark approached.

A strong save from his opposite number, Jak Alnwick, denied Matty Virtue from giving Blackpool the lead right before the interval.

Half-Time: Scunthorpe United 0 Blackpool 0

Some great skill from Antony Evans five minutes in to the second-half opened up an opportunity for the on-loan Everton man to shoot, however his strike was straight at Alnwick.

Armand Gnanduillet drilled a powerful effort from a tight angle that Alnwick got down to save, while Jordan Thompson saw another 20-yard strike saved comfortably.

The hosts welcomed Josh Morris back from injury as a substitute and his arrival on the pitch helped his side offer a bit more threat going forward.

From a Blackpool perspective, more speed was required on the counter and that led to Nathan Delfouneso being introduced for Nya Kirby.

With 20 minutes of the game remaining, Kevin van Veen got in behind the Blackpool defence but was thwarted by Chris Mafoumbi.

Antony Evans left the pitch five minutes later after picking up a knock. Chris Long was the man to replace him.

Jak Alnwick, who pulled off a big save to deny Matty Virtue in the first-half, did likewise in the 80th minute, with his outstretched leg somehow keeping out the midfielder’s strike.

Scunthorpe’s Kyle Wooton then came within inches of scoring for the home side, diverting a cross from Josh Morris just past the post.

It was then Chris Mafoumbi’s turn to pull off a super save, knocking a header from Lee Novak over the bar.

Four minutes of added time came and went with both sides settling for a point.

Full-Time: Scunthorpe United 0 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block