Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool Exit Carabao Cup On Penalties

Macclesfield Town Win 4-2 On Spot-Kicks

13 August 2019

Blackpool exited the first round of the Carabao Cup to Macclesfield Town 4-2 on penalties.

The Seasiders, who had dominated proceedings for most of the night, had to come from behind late on to force the tie to spot-kicks, however Town keeper Owen Evans made two saves and scored the decisive penalty.

The game had ended 2-2 after 90 minutes, with Armand Gnanduillet’s 90th minute penalty cancelling out a strike from substitute Virgil Gomis.

Blackpool had initially took the lead in the game through Ollie Turton, only for an own goal from Rocky Bushiri to balance things up.

The team’s first chance of the game fell to Armand Gnanduillet with six minutes on the clock. The striker towered above his man inside the area but was unable to prevent his header from going over the bar.

For the next 20 minutes, the Seasiders dictated most of the play without troubling Macclesfield keeper Owen Evans. Ryan Hardie nodded a delightful ball over the bar and then saw another opportunity to deflect out for a corner off Jay Harris.

The breakthrough finally came just after the half-hour mark, courtesy of Ollie Turton. The defender, filling in at left-back, made a late run into the box and diverted a glancing header into the bottom corner. Liam Feeney claimed the assist.

Out of nowhere, Macclesfield then drew level. A cross from Jacob Blyth was inadvertently knocked into his own net by defender Rocky Bushiri.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Macclesfield Town 1

A lively start to the second-half from Sullay Kaikai saw him go close with one effort and send a teasing ball across the box that was crying out for a touch from a team-mate.

Great defending from Macclesfield skipper Fiacre Kelleher prevented Ryan Hardie from restoring Blackpool’s advantage. The Seasiders’ number nine turned inside the box and watched his strike hacked off the line.

Hardie was then replaced shortly after the hour by Saturday’s two-goal hero Nathan Delfouneso, however it was Macclesfield substitute Virgil Gomis who made an immediate impact. He raced away down the right and smashed an effort off the underside of the bar to give the visitors the lead.

Blackpool, now pushing for parity, carved out a brilliant opportunity to do just that in the 70th minute, yet Gnanduillet nodded Feeney’s cross wide at the back stick.

Skipper Jay Spearing, who landed awkwardly after being challenged late, had to be replaced with 15 minutes of the game remaining. Harry Pritchard was the player sent on in his place.

Next to try for goal from a Blackpool perspective was Ryan Edwards, who latched on to a knock-down from Nathan Delfouneso and struck a shot straight at Evans in the Macclesfield net.

With time running out, the Seasiders got the lifeline required. Gnanduillet was bundled over in the box, resulting in referee Martin Coy pointing to the spot. The Frenchman stepped up and converted the penalty to equalise in the 90th minute.

Harry Pritchard had a very late chance in four minutes of stoppage time, though he fired over, leaving the tie to be settled by penalty shoot-out.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 Macclesfield Town 2

Sullay Kaikai and Jordan Thompson were both denied in the shoot-out, giving Macclesfield hero Owen Evans the chance to book the opposition a place in the second round of the competition.

Penalties: Blackpool 2 Macclesfield Town 4

Advertisement block