Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 2 Walsall 0

Long And Pritchard On Target In Victory

9 February 2019

An 88th minute goal from Harry Pritchard secured a 2-0 victory for Blackpool at home to Walsall, though the result was far from comfortable.

Having taken an early lead through Chris Long, The Seasiders needed goalkeeper Mark Howard to deny the visitors an equaliser from the penalty spot in the second-half.

Howard was one of four changes to the side for the match, having recovered sufficiently from the injury that had sidelined him for a month. Donervon Daniels, Harry Pritchard and Chris Long also started.

Having watched Armand Gnanduillet nod an early opportunity wide, it was Long who opened the scoring in the 14th minute. The striker sprung the offside trap and fired back across the goalkeeper and into the bottom corner.

Moments later, he almost had a second. This time he peeled off his man just inside the box but was just denied by Walsall ‘keeper Liam Roberts.

Next to try his luck was Jordan Thompson, who opted to drift inside and curl a strike over the bar.

At the other end, Aramide Oteh opted to shoot straight at Mark Howard when the better option was to pass to the unmarked Matt Jarvis.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Walsall 0

The visitors introduced former Blackpool midfielder Isaiah Osbourne for the second-half and made an instant push for an equaliser.

The Seasiders found themselves scrambling around in their own penalty area to block off a number of Walsall opportunities.

A debut was then handed to deadline day signing Matty Virtue for Blackpool, with the ex-Liverpool under-23s captain taking the place of Chris Long.

Walsall were handed an opportunity to level matters in the 67th minute, when Curtis Tilt fouled Aramide Oteh in the area. Matt Jarvis stepped up to take the penalty but was denied by Mark Howard.  

A minute later, Howard was at it again. The keeper made himself big and pushed over a rasping strike from Oteh to maintain Pool’s one-goal advantage.

Antony Evans joined Matty Virtue in making his Blackpool debut with 17 minutes remaining, replacing Nathan Delfouneso.

It was Virtue who had the first chance of the pair though, however his strike was deflected away from the target after hitting Armand Gnanduillet.

Jordan Thompson found himself in an offside position when Blackpool sprung a promising counter-attack, while a last-ditch block from Ben Heneghan denied Andy Cook a chance to equalise for Walsall.

Then, with just two minutes to go, Harry Pritchard punished a defensive mistake by Walsall to wrap up all three points for The Seasiders.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2 Walsall 0


Advertisement block