Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Charlton Athletic 0 Blackpool 0

Stalemate At The Valley

16 February 2019

Blackpool secured their 18th clean sheet of the season after playing out a stalemate against Charlton Athletic at The Valley.

In a game of few clear-cut chances, it was top scorer Armand Gnanduillet who had Pool’s best opportunity to find the net in the 82nd minute, only to see his chipped effort land on top of the net.  

It was the defensive performance that was mightily impressive though, with the draw extending the team’s unbeaten run to seven matches in Sky Bet League One.

Blackpool, without several players due to injury, handed a first league start to on-loan Crystal Palace midfielder Nya Kirby and welcomed Donervon Daniels, Nick Anderton and Chris Long back to the line-up. Jordan Thompson was ruled out due to illness.

It was a bright start to the game from The Seasiders, with Armand Gnanduillet and Nya Kirby both sending efforts over the bar.

Jonny Williams looked to respond for the hosts, forcing a save out of Mark Howard. At the other end, Gnanduillet saw his stinging, 20-yard strike cannon back off the midriff of Charlton ‘keeper Dillon Phillips.

Wales international Williams continued to be Charlton’s main threat, picking up space in key areas. As he looked to turn and shoot in the box, he was quickly denied by Howard once again.

Curtis Tilt and Ben Heneghan were both booked within minutes of each other for incidents involving Lyle Taylor, though the free-kick from Heneghan’s booked sailed over the bar.

Half-Time: Charlton Athletic 0 Blackpool 0

The Addicks opted to make a change for the second-half, introducing winger Mark Marshall for Ben Reeves. That saw the hosts up the ante somewhat, however Blackpool continued to look a threat on the break.

Everton loanee Antony Evans struck a free-kick into the wall, while Chris Long saw an effort blocked before signalling to the bench that his hamstring had gone. It resulted in a double change for The Seasiders, as Joe Dodoo and Chris Taylor came on for Evans and Long.

Defender Ben Purrington had one of the best opportunities of the game when he was left unmarked inside the Blackpool box, only to head off target.

Nathan Delfouneso was brought on for Blackpool with 18 minutes of the match remaining, taking the place of Nya Kirby.

Operating down the right, he drove forward and sent a great delivery across the six-yard box that Armand Gnanduillet was unable to get on the end of.

Then came the best chance for Blackpool, as Gnanduillet cut inside his man and clipped the ball over the top of the ‘keeper. Unfortunately, the ball landed on the roof of the net.

At the other end, Ben Heneghan put in a superb block to deny Joe Aribo from registering a shot on target.

Despite three minutes being added on, both sides were left to settle for a point.

Full-Time: Charlton Athletic 0 Blackpool 0

Advertisement block