Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Sunderland 1 Blackpool 1

Seasiders Now Unbeaten In Six Matches

12 February 2019

A second-half header from Jack Baldwin denied Blackpool all three points in a 1-1 draw at Sunderland.

The defender nodded in from a corner in the 75th minute to cancel out a superb strike from Armand Gnanduillet in the first-half.

Despite conceding the equaliser, it was a resilient performance from The Seasiders and extended the team’s unbeaten run to six matches.

Blackpool, without Donervon Daniels due to injury, were dealt a further defensive blow seven minutes in when Marc Bola required the attention of the physio. The former Arsenal left-back was unable to continue, which resulted in Harry Pritchard dropping back and Liam Feeney coming on.

It was the hosts who dominated the early proceedings, with Duncan Watmore a constant threat. The winger had a shot blocked and saw his fizzing delivering across the six-yard box go without a decisive touch from a team-mate.

Defender Jimmy Dunne then left Mark Howard rooted to the spot when he let fly from 25-yards out, however his low drilled effort drifted just wide of the post.

On the half-hour mark, Blackpool created their first opportunity of note, and it came from Curtis Tilt. The defender got round his man from a corner and saw his diving header cannon back off the post.

From that, Sunderland countered two-on-two, leaving Mark Howard to pull off a vital save and deny Will Grigg inside the box.

Suddenly, it was Blackpool who surged forward again and grabbed the opener. Armand Gnanduillet lined up an effort from 25-yards out and found the bottom corner in spectacular fashion.

Sunderland, clearly stung by that goal, immediately pressed for an equaliser and thought they may have had an opportunity when Jack Baldwin took a tumble in the box. Referee Carl Boyeson waved away the penalty appeals.

Aiden McGeady then came agonisingly close to scoring that leveller with a free-kick. The Republic of Ireland international whipped the ball around the wall and saw it clip the outside of the post.

It was proving an action-packed half of football and could have got even better for Blackpool just prior to the interval. Ben Heneghan rose above his man from a corner but was unable to keep his header down.

Matty Virtue, making his first start for the club, then tested the ‘keeper with a low effort in stoppage time.

Half-Time: Sunderland 0 Blackpool 1

The Seasiders had penalty shouts of their own shortly after the restart when Antony Evans went down inside the area. The referee paused momentarily before allowing play to continue.

At the other end, the dangerous Watmore looked to create an opening when he blasted a shot narrowly wide of the far post.

The hosts introduced Charlie Wyke off the bench in an attempt to find an equaliser and he was denied by a great block eight-yards out from goal.

It was Will Grigg who probably should have levelled in the 64th minute, though, having latched onto a ball over the top and rounded Mark Howard, only to hit the side netting.

The chances continued to mount up for Sunderland, as Charlie Wyke saw his strike well saved by Howard.

Moments after Chris Long had been introduced to try and get Blackpool back on the front foot, Sunderland drew level. Jack Baldwin was left unmarked from a corner to head in.

Some scrambling defence was now required to keep Sunderland at bay and deny the home side a chance to take the lead.

Despite six minutes of additional time, neither side could fashion a clear opportunity to take all three points.

Full-Time: Sunderland 1 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block