Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Winstanley Brace Helps Youth Team Beat Port Vale

Under-18s Win 4-0

10 February 2019

Harry Winstanley notched a brace as the youth team recorded a 4-0 victory in blustery conditions against Port Vale.

Winstanley opened the scoring in the 17th minute before adding his second in the 73rd, just minutes after Ryley Smith had doubled Blackpool’s advantage.

Tony Weston then rounded things off by scoring The Seasiders’ fourth and final goal of the game with five minutes of normal time remaining.

It was the visitors who enjoyed the early possession in the game, but it was Blackpool who had the first opportunity.

Sean Graham took a free-kick, 30-yards from goal, but that was taken over the bar by the wind and out for a Port Vale goal-kick.

The same then happened with a corner. Graham took, but the wind was causing problems again and the ball went out for a goal-kick.

Blackpool then found the opener.  Aaron Turner was fouled on the touchline, from which Blackpool won a free-kick. Graham whipped the ball towards the back post where Winstanley was waiting to head in from close range.

It was then Port Vale’s turn to attack. Liam Hickson got into the area well and looked to have been brought down, but the referee waved away the claims and play continued.

Then, down the opposite end, Andy Kanga was brought down but again the referee said no penalty.

The game was end to end for five minutes, Port Vale this time getting into a good position in the area and after a goalmouth scramble, Blackpool cleared.

Vale continued to grow into the game. Green-Birch this time had a shot on target, but Sam Kellett got down well to deny him.

The visitors again broke through the Blackpool defence, this time Hickson got his shot away, but once more Kellett got down well to deny him.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Port Vale 0

Blackpool got the second-half underway looking to keep hold of their lead.

The first chance of the half fell to Port Vale. The striker raced through on goal, but Hayden Ravenscroft made a great last-ditch tackle and came out with the ball.

Substitute Ryley Smith floated a free-kick in towards goalscorer Winstanley and he nodded the ball down to Will Avon, but the centre-back couldn’t quite get the right connection to shoot towards goal.

Next, Tony Weston had a great chance. Will McGladdery was set free down the right and he played a ball across to the box to Weston, who got the ball out of his feet well but somehow fired the ball way over the bar from close range.

Port Vale came close to an equaliser when Kyle Johnson rounded Kellett, but outstanding performer Ravenscroft covered around well and blocked the shot.

Then came Blackpool’s second. Weston got in well down the right side and got his shot away, which the keeper got down well to, but on the follow up was Ryley Smith to fire into the net.

A few moments later, the hosts had a third. A corner was whipped into to the area which Will Avon challenged for and the ball fell to Winstanley, who half-volleyed into the top corner for his second of the game.

Looking for even more goals, Graham worked the ball into the box well and crossed to Smith at the near post. Smith tried to poke it in from close range but the ‘keeper saved well.

Not long before time, Blackpool scored their fourth and final goal. Substitute Sam Maddox sprayed the ball out to Graham on the left and he found Winstanley, who added an assist to his name, setting up Weston to find into the top corner.

Full-Time: Blackpool 4 Port Vale 0

Blackpool: Kellett, Turner, Winstanley, Ravenscroft, Avon, Liptrott (Beaumont), Graham, Kanga (Smith), Watkinson (Weston), Jaaskelainen (Maddox), McGladdery.

Advertisement block