Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Portsmouth 0 Blackpool 1

Debut Goal From Long Secures Victory At League Leaders

12 January 2019

Chris Long stepped off the bench to mark his debut with a goal, as Blackpool beat league leaders Portsmouth 1-0 at Fratton Park.

The striker, signed earlier in the week, latched onto a flick from Armand Gnanduillet to rifle the ball into the bottom corner in the 75th minute.

The victory, after some staunch defending, ended a run of five league matches without a win for The Seasiders.

Blackpool were able to welcome Ben Heneghan and Jordan Thompson back from illness and injury, respectively, while Nick Anderton made his first appearance since returning from a loan spell at Accrington Stanley.

Goalkeeper Mark Howard was ruled out with the injury he sustained against Arsenal, resulting in a start between the sticks for Congo international Christoffer Mafoumbi.

The opening half hour of the game certainly wasn’t a thriller, with a sliced volley from Callum Guy the closest either side came to registering a shot at goal.

The first attempt on target came courtesy of Armand Gnanduillet, though it was a tame header straight at Pompey ‘keeper Craig MacGillivray.

Nathan Delfouneso could have probably done better when latching on to a delivery from Donervon Daniels, however he fired over at the near post.  

At the other end, Ronan Curtis came within inches of connecting with a cross from Brett Pitman just prior to the interval.

Half-Time: Portsmouth 0 Blackpool 0

A deflected Jamal Lowe strike started a response from Portsmouth after the interval, however that effort deflected wide for a corner that was eventually dealt with.

Referee Kevin Johnson ran over to the sidelines soon after, requesting to change places with the fourth official after picking up an injury. Graham Kane was the man to take the whistle.

The hosts then made a change themselves, introducing Andy Cannon for Andre Green. He almost made an instant impression when left unmarked on the edge of the box, only to blaze over from a knock-down.

Nathan Delfouneso went down inside his own half in the 67th minute, forcing Blackpool to make a substitution of their own. It meant a debut for striker Chris Long.

It took him until the 75th minute to mark the occasion, as he broke the deadlock to give The Seasiders the lead. Armand Gnanduillet did well to flick the ball in his path and he then remained composed to fire the ball into the bottom corner.

Backs to the wall for Blackpool from here on in, with Portsmouth committing numbers forward in search of an equaliser. Brett Pitman headed straight at Mafoumbi, while Matt Clarke forced another save from the stopper.

With four minutes of added time signalled, Blackpool opted to hold the ball up as much as possible and manage the result out, which they duly did.

Full-Time: Portsmouth 0 Blackpool 1

Advertisement block