Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Dundee 1 Blackpool 0

Opening Pre-Season Run Out Ends In Defeat

9 July 2019

Craig Doyle Sports Media

Blackpool’s opening game of pre-season ended in a 1-0 defeat to Dundee at Dens Park.

A pounced upon error from Chris Mafoumbi was all that separated the sides, with Andrew Nelson the beneficiary prior to half-time.

Manager Simon Grayson was on a watching brief from the stands, assessing his squad just three days after returning for a second spell in charge.

It meant that Ian Dawes oversaw proceedings from the touchline and he would have been content with various aspects of Blackpool’s play in the opening 45 minutes.

It was Armand Gnanduillet who had Blackpool’s first meaningful effort of the game, using his strength to hold off the challenge of a defender before firing wide on the turn.

The hosts, playing their final fixture of pre-season, had a few strikes from distance, yet failed to test Chris Mafoumbi between the sticks.

At the other end, Curtis Tilt found space at the back post from a corner, only to head the ball off target.

Winger Sullay Kaikai came then closest to opening the scoring, cutting inside on his right foot and curling the ball just over the bar.

While Kaikai was operating down the left in the first-half, it was down the right-hand side where Blackpool looked most threatening. Liam Feeney, utilised at right-back, continually offered an option to deliver the ball into the box.

However, against the run of play, Dundee took the lead in the 41st minute. Goalkeeper Chris Mafoumbi took too much time on the ball and saw his clearance charged down by Andrew Nelson before rolling into the back of the net.

Sullay Kaikai tried to bring the Seasiders back level prior to the interval, however he was denied by a good save from Jack Hamilton.

Half-Time: Dundee 1 Blackpool 0

After making wholesale outfield changes for the second-half, it was summer signing Adi Yussuf who tried to level matters for Blackpool after the interval, though he was unable to divert his glancing header towards goal.

Winger Yusifu Ceesay did find the net shortly after the hour mark, yet the referee had already blown for a foul by Ryan Edwards in the build-up.

A raft of substitutions for both sides then interrupted the flow of the contest. Myles Boney, on from Chris Mafoumbi, did deny Dundee’s Jordan Marshall late on though following a scramble in the Blackpool box.

Harry Pritchard then made a vital, sliding block in the final minute to ensure that Blackpool did concede a second.

Full-Time: Dundee 1 Blackpool 0   

First-Half Team: Mafoumbi, Feeney, Nottingham, Tilt, Shaw, Spearing, Thompson, Devitt, Kaikai, Delfouneso, Gnanduillet

Second-Half Team: Mafoumbi (Boney 62), Turton, Edwards, Anderton, Bola, Guy, Virtue, Pritchard, Tollitt, Ceesay (Roache 69), Yussuf

Advertisement block