Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Come Back To Beat Carlisle

Under-18s In 3-1 Victory

25 March 2019

Owen Watkinson and Emil Jaaskelainen were both on target for the youth team on Saturday, as the under-18s recorded a 3-1 victory against Carlisle United.

Danny Ventre’s side had to come back from behind though, with Josh Galloway putting the visitors in front early on.

Watkinson levelled matters soon after, before an own goal and an effort from Jaaskelainen wrapped up the points.

It was Blackpool who had the first real chance of the game. Nathan Shaw crossed a ball into the area where Jaaskelainen was waiting, but he headed over.

Shaw was seeing a lot of the ball in the opening 10 minutes. This time he attempted to slide in Watkinson, but Regan Ward was aware of the danger in the Carlisle goal and he came and gathered.

After a good start from the home side, Carlisle went ahead. The visitors cleared a Blackpool attack from which the ball fell to Josh Galloway. He beat Tom Williams and drove into the area where he slotted past Sam Kellett.

The goal spurred the away side on. Galloway sprayed a ball from one side of the pitch to the other to team-mate Belchoir Papa, he then clipped a ball into Charlie Birch’s path, but he couldn’t guide his shot past Kellett.

Then the equaliser came for Blackpool. Shaw whipped a corner into the six-yard area where Watkinson was waiting to nod in. Moments later, another corner whipped in was this time met by Harry Winstanley, who headed just wide.

Galloway was causing problems for Blackpool. He picked the ball up on the edge of the area and hit a great shot towards goal, Kellett parried it in to the path of Kerr, only for him to see the offside flag up.

Then the Seasiders took the lead. After Watkinson looked to have headed the ball over the line, the referee didn’t give the goal and play continued. The ball fell to Matthew Liptrott who floated a ball back into the area, but on the way, it took a deflection and bounced into the net.

Two minutes later, Blackpool had a third. Nathan Shaw floated a cross into the area where Jaaskelainen met it and headed in.

Half-Time: Blackpool 3 Carlisle United 1

Early in the second-half Carlisle were awarded a free-kick due to Galloway being brought down outside of the area. He took the set piece, which went well over substitute Simson’s goal.

The Cumbrians were trying efforts from long range. This time Charlie Birch tried his luck, but the ball deflected out for a corner. That corner was put in to the box which Blackpool cleared.

It was then the Seasiders’ turn to attack. Jaaskelainen got into the area with a great touch and crossed into the danger area where Will Avon headed towards goal but headed over.

Sean Graham received the ball out wide and crossed an early ball to Ewan Bange on the penalty spot, but he got his header wrong and Ward gathered comfortably.

The visitors were still knocking on the door to try and pull a goal back. Galloway got a cross into the area from the left wing which was met by Kerr, but the ball went just wide.

With a couple of minutes left until full-time, Carlisle still pushed. Substitute Jackson Ward took on a shot but that was deflected out for a corner. The corner came in, but Blackpool cleared.

Full-Time: Blackpool 3 Carlisle 1

Blackpool: Kellett (Simson), Williams, Winstanley, Liptrott, Avon ©, Smith (McGladdery), Graham (Ravenscroft), Shaw, Bange, Watkinson (Weston), Jaaskelainen  

Advertisement block