Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team In Eight-Goal Thriller

Under-18s Draw 4-4 With Shrewsbury Town

3 March 2019

A late equaliser denied Blackpool’s under-18s all three points on Saturday, as the youth team drew 4-4 with Shrewsbury Town.

In a real, see-saw encounter, Danny Ventre’s side three times during the 90 minutes, with Owen Watkinson on target twice.

However, Ethan O’Toole struck in the 86th minute to secure the visitors a share of the spoils.

It wasn’t long after the start of the game before the first goal of the game was scored. Nathan Shaw floated a corner in to the area, Harry Winstanley flicked it on and Owen Watkinson, at the back post, volleyed home.

The goal gave Blackpool a spring in their step. Watkinson came forward and played a ball inside to Sean Graham, he worked his way into the box but shot over.

Involved in the build-up play again, Watkinson played a ball down the line for Shaw, he crossed but Shrewsbury blocked for a corner. The corner was put in where Winstanley was waiting, but he couldn’t guide his header towards goal.

Will Avon then played a ball out wide from midfield to Shaw, he beat his man with great skill and crossed towards Bange, but the ball travelled over his head and out for a goal-kick.

The visitors soon created a chance of their own. Lifumpa Mwandwe breezed past his man and cut the ball back to his team-mate on the penalty spot, the ball looked destined for the top corner, but Sam Kellett produced an outstanding save to keep the home side in front.

Goalscorer Watkinson had another chance for Blackpool. This time he picked up a loose ball and unleashed a right footed shot towards goal, which Bevan tipped on to the post.

Then, the visitors pulled a goal back. After confusion in the Blackpool defence, Archie Elmore capitalised on a mistake and slotted the ball into an open net.

Half-Time: Blackpool 1 Shrewsbury Town 1

Blackpool started the second half brightly. Shaw was set free down the right, he worked the ball into the box well and cut it back for Bange, but he couldn’t direct it towards goal.

Shaw was involved in almost everything. This time he crossed towards Bange and he headed it down for Watkinson, who couldn’t guide a shot into the net.

Watkinson then scored his second. A loose pass from Bevan went straight to the forward, who raced through on goal, set himself and fired past Bevan to regain the lead.

Four minutes later though, the visitors replied. A cross came into the area from the right and Archie Elmore was waiting to tap past Kellett for his second of the game.

It then got worse for Blackpool, as the visitors went ahead. Another cross came in from the right towards Elmore, who placed the ball beyond Kellett and into the net for his hat-trick.

A half which was proving full of goals then provided another. This time it was Blackpool. Shaw whipped in a corner towards the back post where Winstanley was waiting to head past Bevan and make it 3-3.

The hosts were looking dangerous all afternoon from set-pieces, and another one nearly paid dividends. Shaw again crossed from a corner into the area where Jaaskelainen met it, he headed towards goal, but Bevan held on to his effort.

After pressing for the fourth, Blackpool’s persistence paid off. Graham travelled superbly from his own half with the ball, he got to the edge of the area, where he then played Bange in on goal, he took one shot and fired past Bevan to give Blackpool the lead.

Although, that didn’t last long. Four minutes from time, Shrewsbury pulled level. A good counter-attack left Blackpool three on two at the back, Shrewsbury made that count and Ethan O’Toole slotted past Kellett.

Blackpool tried for one last goal. Hayden Ravenscroft took aim and shot from the edge of the box, but Bevan tipped the ball on to the post.

Full-Time: Blackpool 4 Shrewsbury 4

Blackpool: Kellett, Williams, Winstanley, Ravenscroft, Avon, Liptrott (Kanga), Shaw, Watkinson (Smith), Bange, Jaaskelainen, Graham.

Unused: Simson, Beaumont, McGladdery.

Advertisement block