Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 0 Gillingham 3

2018/19 Campaign Ends In Defeat

4 May 2019

Blackpool’s season was brought to an end in disappointing fashion, as Gillingham ran out 3-0 winners at Bloomfield Road.

The Seasiders were made to pay for a lacklustre first-half display which saw Brandon Hanlan and Tom Eaves (2) find the net for the visitors.

A better response was mustered after the interval, however Gills goalkeeper Tomas Holy kept out Pool’s best efforts of reducing the arrears.

Manager Terry McPhillips made two enforced changes for the game, with Michael Nottingham and Nya Kirby both ruled out due to injury. Nick Anderton and Chris Long were the players to replace them.

The Seasiders didn’t get off to the best of starts though, finding themselves a goal down after just seven minutes. Brandon Hanlan dropped the shoulder on the edge of the box and jinked past Curtis Tilt before finding the far corner.

It was proving to be a real lacklustre opening from the hosts, who struggled to retain possession for any meaningful periods.

Despite that, Armand Gnanduillet did come close to levelling the scores in the 24th minute, only for defender Barry Fuller to make a vital clearance on the line.

Soon after, Gillingham doubled their advantage. Tom Eaves capitalised on a slip from Curtis Tilt to find the back of the net from 20-yards.

Eaves, now on 21 goals for the season, then notched another to make it 22 for the campaign. Bradley Garmston delivered the ball across the six-yard box where the striker was well positioned to slot in.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Gillingham 3

Club captain Jimmy Ryan made his long-awaited return from injury for the second-half, replacing Antony Evans as one of two changes. Nathan Delfouneso was the other player to come on in place of Chris Long.

After Jordan Thompson had gone close with a free-kick that deflected just past the post, a super stop from Tomas Holy denied Marc Bola from reducing the deficit.

More sustained pressure from Blackpool saw Delfouneso have an effort blocked near the line, and then Jordan Thompson’s powerful half-volley also hacked clear.

A minute later, Harry Pritchard found the net, only to see the flag go up for an offside call.

Blackpool continued to push and watched Tomas Holy pull off another save, this time to deny Curtis Tilt from eight-yards out.

Liam Feeney became Pool’s third and final change with 10 minutes of the match remaining, though that didn’t prevent the day and campaign from ending on a heavy defeat.

Full-Time: Blackpool 0 Gillingham 3

Advertisement block