Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 4 Peterborough United 3

Seasiders Win Bloomfield Road Epic

2 November 2019

Blackpool secured an incredible three points against Peterborough United in a goal fest at Bloomfield Road.

Two Peterborough own goals and a brace from Armand Gnanduillet were enough to secure the win, despite the visitors coming from behind twice in the match.

It was, in fact, the visitors who took the lead on ten minutes. Mo Eisa picked up the ball on the left flank, cut inside and curled an effort over Alnwick and into the goal.

Five minutes later, Marcus Maddison tried his look for Peterborough from inside his own half. Noticing Alnwick off his line, the number 11 let fly but his effort was thankfully wide by some distance.

The Seasiders were giving as good as they got at the other end, with Liam Feeney and Calum MacDonald putting in cross after cross and causing the Posh defence some serious problems.

However, it was a long ball forward from Jak Alnwick that split open the visitors defence and found Armand Gnanduillet.

The striker bullied his way through two defenders with the ball at his feet, but in came Peterborough’s Niall Mason who managed to get to the ball and divert it into his own net to put Blackpool level with 25 minutes on the clock.

Then, with five minutes remaining in the first half, Gnanduillet put Blackpool ahead.

Some fantastic work by MacDonald and Virtue down the left hand side allowed MacDonald the chance to deliver a cross. The strike was blocked away by Pym in the Posh goal, only for the ball to fall to Gnanduillet who did well to drill a finish low into the corner.

It wasn't finished there though. With three minutes of time added on, Peterborough's Dan Butler swooped in a cross on the left to find Ivan Toney who poked it home to make it 2-2 at the half-time interval.

Half-Time: Blackpool 2 Peterborough United 2

The action didn’t stop after the break, and Blackpool were awarded a penalty just 90 seconds after the restart. Mark Beevers brought down Gnanduillet in the area, and the front man steadied himself to send Pym the wrong way to score his second and Blackpool’s third of the game.

Peterborough were pushing for another equaliser and had the ball in the back of the net on the hour mark. A free-kick was whipped in with a flick on finding it’s way into the net, but the referee blew his whistle for a foul, with a resulting free-kick to the Seasiders.

Peterborough eventually found their equaliser with 20 minutes remaining. Maddison crafted a ball over the top of the defence with Ryan Edwards adjudged to have brought down Mark Beevers in the box.

Up stepped Marcus Maddison, who calmly slotted it past Alnwick to level the scores at 3-3.

Incredibly, the Seasiders mustered all their spirit and took the lead yet again just 60 seconds later with an incredible counter-attack.

Jak Alnwick’s long throw to Feeney found the winger brilliantly, who nutmegged the incoming defender to give him all the time in the world to find a cross, which was ultimately bundled home by way of a second own goal and Blackpool retook the lead for the third time in the match to secure a crucial three points.

Full-Time: Blackpool 4 Peterborough United 3

Team: Alnwick, Edwards, Heneghan, Delfouneso, Spearing, Kaikai, Feeney (Turton, 82’), Virtue (Guy, 80’), Gnanduillet (Nuttall, 90'), Husband, MacDonald

Not Used: Sims, Bushiri, Hardie, Scannell

Advertisement block