Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 1 Wycombe Wanderers 1

Even-Stevens at Bloomfield Road as Ben Heneghan’s header cancels out Scott Kashket’s first half strike.

22 October 2019

A much improved second 45 minutes ensured Blackpool took a deserved point from high flying Wycombe Wanderers on Tuesday night.

Scott Kashket gave the visitors the lead in the first half with a cute finish beyond Jak Alnwick but Ben Heneghan’s header five minutes after the restart meant Blackpool remained in eighth place.

Blackpool started the match the brightest with James Husband trying his luck on five minutes. The left-back cut inside past Wycombe defender Jack Grimmer and looked to bend one in with his right foot. The effort was blocked and fell to Sullay Kaikai but the number ten just couldn’t sort his feet out and the eventual shot was blocked by the Wycombe defence.

Despite the lively start from Simon Grayson’s men, the visitors took the lead just three minutes later. A long ball forward was flicked on by Adebayo Akinfenwa and Scott Kashket was able to knock the loose ball past the onrushing Jak Alnwick to give Wycombe an early lead.

Two minutes later another ball forward was picked up by Wycombe’s David Wheeler on the right-hand side. Thankfully, his long-range effort was easily held by Alnwick.

The best Blackpool chance of the first half came ten minutes before the half time whistle. Sullay Kaikai had a long effort zip just wide of the far post.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Wycombe Wanderers 1

Blackpool came out of the traps in the second half and almost found an equaliser in the opening 60 seconds. A lovely ball on the right from Liam Feeney found Nathan Delfouneso unmarked from just six yards out. The pace of the ball seemed to take the number seven by surprise though, and his header looped over the goal out for a goal kick.

The eventual equaliser followed just five minutes later. A lovely floating free kick from Sullay Kaikai made its way to the far post, with Ben Heneghan rising the tallest to loop his header over Ryan Allsop and into the back of the net.

Heneghan found the back of the net again minutes later with a bullet header directly from a corner kick – but the referee blew for a push on a Wycombe defender and ruled out the goal.

Blackpool pushed for a winner to nick the three points and there were muted claims for a penalty with 15 minutes remaining. A tussle between Wycombe’s Giles Phillips and Armand Gnanduillet resulted in the Blackpool frontman tumbling to the ground, but the referee waived the claims away.

A solid point against an in-form Wycombe Wanderers side, with a trip to Burton Albion on Saturday up next for the Seasiders.

Full-Time: Blackpool 1 Wycombe Wanderers 1

Team: Alnwick, Turton, Heneghan, Tilt, Husband, Spearing, Thompson (Guy 80), Delfouneso (Nuttall 74), Kaikai, Feeney (Scannell 85), Gnanduillet

Not Used: Sims, Bushiri, Edwards, Virtue

Advertisement block