Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Coventry City 3 Blackpool 2

Seasiders Slip To First League Defeat

7 September 2019

Coventry City came from two goals down to beat Blackpool 3-2 at St Andrew’s and end the Seasiders’ unbeaten start to the league season.

Substitute Callum O’Hare capped off the comeback for the Sky Blues in added time, leaving Blackpool utterly frustrated.

The Seasiders had earlier raced into a two-goal lead courtesy of Sullay Kaikai, however Coventry drew level before the interval before finding a late winner.

Blackpool initially took the lead inside a minute. The ball dropped to Sullay Kaikai at the back post and he made no mistake in looping the ball into the far corner.

That goal set the tone for a frenetic opening period, which also saw Coventry’s Jordy Hiwula see an effort ruled out for offside.

Joe Nuttall could have quickly doubled Blackpool’s advantage when he raced away down the left, only to drag his effort wide after cutting inside.

The opposition continued to push for a way back into the game, though Wesley Jobello’s effort was drilled straight at Jak Alnwick.

In the 38th minute, Blackpool increased their lead. It was that man Sullay Kaikai again who finished off the move, blasting the ball into the net following a square ball from Liam Feeney. Seconds earlier, Armand Gnanduillet had just been beaten to the ball by the keeper, however he managed to recover possession and kept the passage of play alive.

From being in a comfortable and commanding position, things took a dramatic twist, as Coventry managed to score two goals in the space of five minutes. Matty Godden pulled one back after a ricochet fell kindly for him, then Wesley Jobello equaliser in added time when a ball into the box wasn’t dealt with.

Half-Time: Coventry City 2 Blackpool 2

Coventry, clearly buoyed by the way they finished the first-half, forced Blackpool to soak up some early pressure at the start of the second 45 minutes.

A great run from James Husband almost paid dividends at the other end when the wing-back found space to shoot, however he dragged his effort across goal and wide.

Jordy Hiwula then tried to give Coventry the lead after knocking the ball past Jak Alnwick, only to see Curtis Tilt make a decisive clearance.

With 23 minutes of the game remaining, manager Simon Grayson opted to make a couple of changes. Ben Heneghan and Nathan Delfouneso were the players to come on, replacing Ollie Turton and Armand Gnanduillet.

Despite that, it was the Sky Blues who were next to threaten again. Michael Rose was left unmarked from a corner and headed over the bar.

Blackpool’s final throw of the dice was to introduce Ryan Hardie for Joe Nuttall, with the former Rangers man looking to build on his first goal for the club in midweek.

However, the Seasiders were quickly dealt a blow when Nathan Delfouneso clutched the back of his hamstring, forcing him off the pitch and Blackpool to see the game out with 10 men.

Then, in added time, Coventry substitute Callum O’Hare found the net to cap off the turnaround for Coventry and end the afternoon in disappointment for Blackpool.

Full-Time: Coventry City 3 Blackpool 2

Team: Alnwick, Feeney, Turton (Heneghan 67), Edwards, Tilt, Husband, Spearing, Guy, Kaikai, Nuttall (Hardie 80), Gnanduillet (Delfouneso 67)

Unused: Mafoumbi, Virtue, Shaw, Scannell

Advertisement block