Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Port Vale 1 Blackpool 2

15 August 2020

Blackpool made it two wins from two in pre-season, thanks to a hard fought 2-1 victory at Port Vale.

Sullay Kaikai's strike on 43 minutes gave Blackpool a half-time lead, before Scott Burgess equalised for Port Vale on 51 minutes. Keshi Anderson scored the decisive winner on 54 minutes.

The hosts impressed in the early stages and made things difficult for Blackpool to work their way into the game. A succession of corners and an opportunity for Cristian Montano were squandered by Vale, as was a penalty on 20 minutes after Teddy Howe nudged Tom Pope in the back. Pope stepped up and hit the far post with the ball bouncing out for a goal kick.

Blackpool grew into the game after the penalty miss. Jerry Yates was presented with a wonderful opportunity on 30 minutes thanks to Keshi Anderson’s intricate pass, but Yates’ strike flashed past the goal.

The Seasiders took the lead with two minutes of the first half remaining. A corner from Liam Feeney caused havoc in the penalty area, before the ball fell kindly to Sullay Kaikai on the edge of the six yard box, with the former Crystal Palace man able to slot home and give Blackpool a half-time lead.

Half-time: Port Vale 0 Blackpool 1

Blackpool came out for the second half making just one change, with Chris Maxwell replaced in goal by a trialist.

The hosts were able to equalise just six minutes into the second half through Scott Burgess who was able to capitalise on a defensive mix-up in the Blackpool defence.

The Seasiders’ spirit was never dampened, however, and Keshi Anderson was able to retake the lead just three minutes later. The ex-Swindon man applied pressure on the Port Vale defence, before winning the ball back on the edge of the area and calmly passing the ball into the far corner.

Blackpool made ten changes on the hour mark, changing all outfield players, with the trialist in goal the only player to remain.

CJ Hamilton proved a threat for the Seasiders for the final half an hour, forcing the Port Vale goalkeeper into two fantastic saves, with his pace causing the Vale defence some real issues. 

Blackpool were able to hang on and take another pre-season victory on board, with the visit of League Two Barrow AFC next up on Tuesday.

Full-time: Port Vale 1 Blackpool 2

First 60 minutes XI: Maxwell, Howe, Ekpiteta, Thorniley, Shaw, Antwi, Virtue, Anderson, Kaikai, Feeney, Yates.

60 minutes onwards XI: Trialist, Garrity, Nottingham, Turton, Macdonald, Robson, Ward, Sarkic, Nuttall, Hamilton, Madine.

Advertisement block