Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 2 Gillingham 3

Seasiders Suffer Defeat To Gills

11 February 2020

A 93rd minute winner from Gillingham condemned Blackpool to another defeat on Tuesday evening.

Armand Gnanduillet's 18th goal of the season was enough to give the Seasiders a half-time lead before two quick fire goals from Gillingham gave the visitors the lead with 15 minutes to play.

However, Nathan Delfouneso's equaliser was thought to have salvaged a point before Brandan Hanlan won it with a 93rd minute winner.

Gary Madine had a great chance with just five minutes gone. Some great work from Ollie Turton on the right gave him space to feed in the cross with Madine’s header at goal causing a real scramble in the penalty area, but the ball was just cleared.

Yet, 60 seconds later Blackpool took the lead, through Armand Gnanduillet’s 18th goal of the season.

Taylor Moore did brilliantly to win a header and found Gnanduillet. The big man weaved his way through the defence into the penalty area and squeezed the ball past Jack Bonham in the Gillingham goal from an acute angle to send Bloomfield Road into raptures early on.

Blackpool were in the ascendency throughout the first half and Connor Ronan had a wonderful opportunity to make it 2-0 on the half hour mark.

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall did brilliantly to win possession back in the middle of the park, and thread a ball through to Ronan, who timed his run beautifully. The 21-year-old cut inside and tried to find the bottom corner on the near side, but his effort hit the side netting.

Armand’s 18th goal of the season was the difference at the interval, with Gillingham fortunate to go in only one goal down.

Half Time: Blackpool 1 Gillingham 0

Blackpool were searching for that all-important second goal to finish the match off throughout the second half, whilst the visitors rarely threatened Chris Maxwell in goal.

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall tried his luck from range just after the hour mark, but just slid his shot wide of the goal.

Moments later, Connor Ronan did well to cut inside from the left and shoot at goal, but the Gillingham goalkeeper held on well.

Less than 60 seconds later the game was turned on it’s head as Gillingham scored two goals in a matter of minutes.

The first came from John Akinde, as the striker caught the defence sleeping, timing his run perfectly to go clean through on goal and slot past Chris Maxwell.

Then, straight from kick off, Gillingham took the lead in dramatic fashion through Regan Charles-Cook’s volley at the far post and smash past Maxwell to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

With 90 minutes on the clock, Nathan Delfouneso thought he'd salvaged a point with an unmarked header in the six yard box, before Brandon Hanlan won it for the visitors in dramatic fashion with an unmarked header in the box following a corner to condemn Blackpool to defeat.

Full Time: Blackpool 2 Gillingham 3

Team: Maxwell, Bola, Heneghan, Spearing (Virtue, 45’), Feeney, Dewsbury-Hall, Turton, Gnanduillet, Madine (Delfouneso, 76’), Ronan (Ward, 82’), Moore.

Subs: Sims, Nuttall, Husband, Macdonald. 

Advertisement block