Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Lincoln City 1 Blackpool 0

Seasiders Lose To Lincoln

18 January 2020

Blackpool suffered defeat on the road, with a 1-0 defeat at Lincoln City.

A Tyreece John-Jules goal on 65 minutes was all the difference, with Blackpool now not tasting a victory in their last eight matches.

With nine minutes on the clock, Blackpool hit the post from a corner kick. A great ball in from Liam Feeney on the left hand side was glanced on by Nathan Delfouneso at the near post, with his header going beyond everyone and striking the far post of Josh Vickers’ goal.

20 minutes had passed when the home side were awarded a penalty after Jay Spearing brought down the overlapping full-back, Max Melbourne, in the penalty area. Top scorer Tyler Walker stepped up and went to his left, but Mark Howard turned the penalty behind brilliantly with a powerful stop to his right.

Both sides were having good half chances in the first 45 minutes, but neither were able to break the deadlock. Lincoln’s Tyreece John-Jules had a good header palmed away by Mark Howard on 38 minutes, whilst penalty claims for Blackpool were waived away moments later, after Armand Gnanduillet appeared to be brought down in the area.

Despite the good opportunities, the players went into the interval with the scores goalless.

Half Time: Lincoln City 0 Blackpool 0

It was a quiet start to the second half, with neither side creating a real goal scoring opportunity in the opening 15 minutes.

Simon Grayson made a double substitution on the hour mark, by bringing on Joe Nuttall and Gary Madine. Yet, just five minutes after the substitutions, it was Lincoln who took the lead.

A clearance from Ben Heneghan ricocheted off Jay Spearing straight into the path of Tyler Walker, who slotted a pass to Tyreece John-Jules, with the number nine able to slot the ball home.

Moments later, Curtis Tilt had a wonderful header cleared off the line from a Lincoln defender following a corner kick, with Blackpool pushing for an equaliser.

Blackpool were having a good deal of possession, but just couldn’t find that elusive goal. Lincoln caught the Seasiders out with a blistering counter-attack on 80 minutes. Tyler Walker was slotted through, went around Ben Heneghan at the byline, but his cross-come-shot was high and wide over Howard’s goal.

Ultimately, it was the one goal that was all the difference and Blackpool left the LNER Stadium empty handed.

Full Time: Lincoln City 1 Blackpool 0

Team: Howard, Bola, Heneghan, Delfouneso, Spearing, Feeney (Nuttall, 60’), Tilt, Turton, Gnanduillet (Madine, 60’), Guy, Ward (Kaikai, 76’).

Subs: Sims, Thorniley, Virtue, Husband


Advertisement block