Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Fall To Defeat

Under-18s Lose At Away To Tranmere

8 March 2020

The Youth team fell to a 3-0 defeat against Tranmere Rovers in the North West Youth Alliance on the weekend.

Danny Ventre’s men had the chance to take the lead from the penalty spot, but a save from Tranmere’s ‘keeper meant three second half goals for the hosts were enough to earn three points.

The wind was causing all sorts of hassle from the get-go. Tranmere had a couple of chances early on, but both were blocked by Turner and the Seasiders were able to clear.

Then, down the other end, Blackpool won a free-kick which was whipped to the back post, Tranmere cleared, but in the swirling wind the ball fell to Nana Adarkwa and he headed past the Tranmere defender, only to be taken down in the area, leaving the referee with no option but to point to the spot.

Cameron Antwi stepped up for the Seasiders, but a good save from the Tranmere ‘keeper denied him from giving Blackpool the lead.

Towards the end of the first half, Blackpool nearly found the game’s opener. Good play down the left from Tony Weston and Will McGladdery allowed the latter to fizz a cross into the area, Adarkwa was waiting to get his shot away, but he was denied by the Tranmere shot stopper.

After the break, it didn’t take long for the deadlock to be broken. The hosts won a corner which was floated into a tightly bunched penalty spot, the ball found its way to a white shirt who rose above everyone to head past Sam Kellett.

Looking for a reply, Antwi was given the chance to shoot from the edge of the area, but his effort went just wide. From the resulting goal-kick, Tranmere played a long ball over the top of the Blackpool defence, it wasn’t dealt with, and Tranmere doubled their advantage.  

Although now two goals down, the Seasiders weren’t for giving up, but as Weston lined a volley up, Tranmere cleared and hit Blackpool on the break to eventually score a third.  

The latter stages of the game were all Blackpool, although chances from Antwi and Weston were fired over, leaving the Seasiders on the end of a defeat.

Advertisement block