Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Harrogate Town 0 Blackpool 4

28 November 2020

Blackpool cruised into round three of the Emirates FA Cup, thanks to a second half demolition in a 4-0 win at Harrogate Town.

The first half was a quiet affair, with neither side able to break the deadlock.

With 20 minutes on the clock, a header flicked on by Mark Beck to his partner Jack Muldoon was timed perfectly to feed Muldoon through on goal. Marvin Ekpiteta was scampering back before the Harrogate man could release a shot at Maxwell’s goal, and the Blackpool defender made a well-timed sliding challenge in the box to take the ball away from Muldoon.

Both sides were struggling to break each other down in the opening half, but Gary Madine had a good effort at goal ten minutes before the interval. A cross in from the right from Grant Ward found Madine, who’s first time effort on the volley whistled just wide of the post.

A quiet 45 minutes was brought to a close, as both sides went in goalless.

Half time: Harrogate Town 0 Blackpool 0

It took the Seasiders five second half minutes to finally break the deadlock. Luke Garbutt whipped in a wonderful corner kick, which took a slight flick off of Harrogate’s Josh Falkingham to go past Belshaw and into the net.

Moments later, Belshaw made a superb double save to deny Ben Woodburn with a curling effort from an acute angle. The ball then fell perfectly to Madine, who volleyed at goal, but there was Belshaw again to get in the way of the first-time effort and knock it out for a corner.

The Seasiders took advantage of that corner kick and made it 2-0 thanks to a wonderful strike from Grant Ward. The corner was taken by Garbutt, but was knocked away, falling perfectly to Grant Ward who was able to tee himself up and fire a shot past all of the bodies in the box and nestle into the bottom corner to double Blackpool’s lead.

Blackpool were in cruise control and could have made it three through CJ Hamilton’s powerful effort at goal inside the penalty area, but for the palms of James Belshaw yet again.

It was three with five minutes from time, through Jordan Gabriel. A blistering counter-attack from Blackpool resulted in Demetri Mitchell with the ball at his feet from just inside the penalty area.

The former Manchester United man took an effort at goal which hit the far post, falling kindly to the onrushing Gabriel, who was able to undle into an empty net from just two yards out.

The action was far from over, as Harrogate's Kevin Lokko was shown a straight red card for a foul on Gary Madine, who found himself clean through on goal. 

The free kick was whipped into the penalty area, with Lubala's header across goal at the back post finding Dan Kemp who lifted it into the net to complete a second half demolition, and secure the Seasiders safe passage into round three of this season's Emirates FA Cup.

Full time: Harrogate Town 0 Blackpool 4

Team: Maxwell, Gabriel, Ballard, Ekpiteta, Garbutt, Dougall, Ward, Anderson (80’ Kemp), Hamilton (84' Mitchell), Woodburn (59’ Lubala), Madine

Subs not used: Sims, Husband, Turton, Yates

Advertisement block