Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Youth Team Report: Fleetwood Town 2-4 Blackpool

Young Seasiders Pick Up Impressive Victory.

10 November 2020

Blackpool's U18's beat Fylde Coast neighbours Fleetwood Town thanks to a 4-2 victory in their final group game of the Youth Alliance Cup.

Brad Holmes, Michael Fitzgerald, James Harrison and Matthew Liptrott were all on the scoresheet within 49 minutes at Poolfoot Farm to secure an impressive victory against Fleetwood Town.

The young Seasiders made an electric start after Holmes got on the end of Luke Mariette’s excellent interception, the striker then made no mistake in finishing, curling an effort past Eastham and into the bottom corner.

Holmes was causing problems early on, this time meeting Jack Moore’s terrific cross, only to then volley over the bar from 12-yards out.

It was then Fleetwood’s turn to mount an attack, however a one-on-one came to nothing and Alec McLachlan could pick the ball up for a goal-kick.

McLachlan was then called into action moments later, tipping a fantastic Fleetwood effort around the post and away from danger.

James Harrison went close to putting his name on the scoresheet after his effort from Mariette’s cross was cleared off the line.

However, the Seasiders second of the game was just around the corner. Fitzgerald’s first effort on goal from a Blackpool corner was cleared off the line, before the centre half had a second bite of the cherry to fire Danny Ventre’s side further ahead.

With just two minutes to go until the break, Harrison eventually scored the goal he deserved. He found himself with time and space in the Fleetwood area to pick his spot and send the Seasiders in at the break three goals to the good.

Half-Time: Fleetwood Town 0-3 Blackpool

Captain, Matty Liptrott, got the second half underway, and it didn’t take him long to get the scoring underway again, either.

Liptrott found himself one-on-one with a Fleetwood defender to eventually unleash an effort towards goal, the ball took a deflection and looped over Eastham and into the net.

The hosts then grabbed a goal back shortly after, before being awarded a penalty after Brad Holmes fouled in the area. Fleetwood missed the chance to reduce the score line even further, hitting the post from the spot kick.

Just ten minutes after missing from the spot, and with just 20 minutes left on the clock, the Cod Army scored again.

Ventre’s side had a golden chance to put the game to bed five minutes from time when Arnold Matshazi slipped Ewan Bange in behind the Fleetwood defence, though they eventually recovered well to deny him.

Full-Time: Fleetwood Town 2-4 Blackpool

Blackpool: McLachlan, Goumou (Squires 71’), Moore, Sinclair, Fitzgerald, Trusty (Strawn 57’), Liptrott, Holmes (Yelegon 86’), Bange, Mariette (Rogers 79’), Harrison (Matshazi 71’).

Advertisement block