Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

FA Youth Cup Report: Blackpool 2-3 Bradford City

Blackpool's Under-18's Fall To Cruel Defeat

28 October 2020

The young Seasiders exited the FA Youth Cup at the First-Round stage after a narrow defeat to Bradford City at Bloomfield Road.

Charles Wood opened the scoring after two minutes with a close-range header from a corner, before he grabbed his second of the game with a half-volley.

James Harrison grabbed a goal back for the hosts after meeting Rob Apter’s cross from the right-hand side, before Brad Holmes levelled the scoring moments later.

It wasn’t the best of starts for Danny Ventre’s men, as Bradford opened the scoring just minutes in through Charlie Wood, after he converted a header from a corner.

Looking for a way back into the game, Holmes found Apter in the six-yard box, but his shot went wide of Tom Donaghy’s post.

Despite pressure from Ventre's side, the Bantams extended their lead. The ball fell to Charlie Wood on the edge of the area and as the ball bounced up, he hit a half-volley past Alec McLachlan and into the top corner to give the visitors breathing room at Bloomfield Road.

James Harrison then got the Seasiders moving up the pitch, he found Max Rogers on the edge of the area, but his first-time effort sailed over Donaghy’s bar.

Holmes was then looking to pull a goal back for his side as he forced his way into the area to shoot left-footed, but he dragged his shot wide of the post.

Roger’s was then denied by the Bradford defence, as his shot look destined for the bottom corner. The Seasiders then regained possession through Apter, but his cross in towards Hill ran out for a goal-kick.

Just before the half-time break, Apter unleashed a shot towards goal from a tight angle, but his shot hit the side netting.

Half-time: Blackpool 0-2 Bradford

The Young Seasiders started the second half brightly as Homes almost found himself free in the area, but he was eventually ushered away from goal by Tanaka Maumbe.

Then, the breakthrough eventually came. Apter, who threatened throughout, found himself out wide with the ball, he then crossed to the back post where James Harrison was waiting to nod in.

Holmes then went close after he shot from distance, his effort going wide of Donaghy’s post.

The visitors weren’t for giving up. A slick passing move found its way to Connor Morris in the area, but Blackpool escaped danger, as the linesman had his flag up for offside.

With 15 minutes to go, the Seasiders drew level through Holmes. Apter again the provider as he floated a cross to the back post once again for Holmes to head back across goal and into the far corner to score his seventh goal in six games.

Having worked hard to get back on level terms, Bradford grabbed a third and won the tie late on. Morris found space in the area to finish from a tight angle past McLachlan.

In a crazy five minutes, the ball was in the back of the net for the Seasiders, after Perez Goumou headed past Donaghy, but the referee saw a foul and blew for a Bradford free-kick.

As the Seasiders were looking for yet another response, time was running out for Ventre’s side. A few pumped balls into the area were met by Bradford shirts to clear any danger.

The referee then called time on the game meaning the Seasiders exited at the first-round stage.

Blackpool: McLachlan, Goumou, Hill (Squires), Fitzgerald, Wyllie (Yelegon), Liptrott, Trusty, Apter, Rogers (Matshazi), Harrison, Holmes.

Subs: Strawn, Muscatelli, Tshola.

Advertisement block