Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U18 Report: Blackpool 2 Accrington Stanley 4

13 September 2020

The U18’s suffered defeat in their first game of the season against Accrington Stanley in the North West Youth Alliance.

Jack McKinlay put the visitors ahead against the run of play before two quickfire goals from Luke Mariette and Brad Holmes saw the Seasiders go in at the break with the lead.

Within a minute of the second half resuming, Luke Stowe pegged Blackpool back. With 15 minutes to go, Accrington doubled their tally through Stowe and Lewis Trickett.

It was the Seasiders who started the brighter of the two when Rob Apter tried his luck from a free kick just outside of the area, but Jack Buckley in the Accrington goal denied him.

The Seasiders continued to push in the early stages. Jack Moore swung a fantastic corner in towards Cameron Hill, he rose above everyone to guide a strong header towards goal, though Buckley stood firm.

With only 15 minutes gone, the Seasiders were unlucky not to be ahead. Apter turned superbly in the area to glide past his man, he then squared the ball to Perez Goumou, but his effort just skimmed the crossbar.

However, against the run of play, Stanley equalized. A corner from the right wasn’t cleared by the Blackpool defence, Alec McLachlan saved well from Stanley’s first effort on goal, but he was helpless for the second, as Jack McKinlay struck past him to give Accrington the lead.

Ewan Bange then went close as Danny Ventre’s men looked to pull level. In a crowded area, Bange did well to work some space and shoot towards goal, but he was denied by an outstretched leg.

Persistence paid off as Luke Mariette equalized for ‘Pool. A mistake in the Stanley defence allowed the midfielder to race through on goal, he rounded the onrushing Buckley and slotted into an empty net.

Holmes nearly had the Seasiders in front just one minute before the interval. Using his strength, he barged his way into the area and unleashed a venomous shot towards goal, but a slight deflection took it behind for a corner kick.

The corner was swung in, and as Goumou looked to head towards goal, Buckley came and wiped him out for what looked to be a stonewall penalty - but it wasn't to be.

The Seasiders did take a half-time lead though. A corner into the area found Holmes who volleyed first time giving Buckley no chance in the Accrington Stanley goal just minutes before the break.

Half-time: Blackpool 2-1 Accrington Stanley

The second half didn’t get off to the best of starts for the Seasiders after a ball flashed across the face of goal was tapped in by Luke Stowe to bring the visitors level.

The Seasiders looked to regain their lead as Apter skipped past his man to shoot towards goal, though he was denied by Buckley at the near post before Holmes had an effort from range also saved by the Stanley shot stopper. 

The visitors soaked up pressure from Blackpool before then taking the lead. Lewis Trickett beat Cameron Hill out wide to cross into the middle where Stowe was waiting to turn home his second of the game and Stanley’s third.

Just 10 minutes later, Accrington looked to have sealed the win. Trickett was causing problems on the left, he had time to work the ball onto his left foot, knock it out of his feet and shoot towards goal with a driven shot, McLachlan dived to his left but couldn’t stop the shot from hitting the back of the net.

Full-Time: Blackpool 2-4 Accrington Stanley

Blackpool: McLachlan, Moore, Goumou, Hill, Wyllie (Wilson 68’), Tshola, Liptrott, Mariette, Apter (Matshazi 82’), Bange, Holmes.

Unused subs: Monks, Rogers, Squires.

Advertisement block