Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Friendly Report: Huddersfield 1 Blackpool 2

15 April 2021

Marvin Ekpiteta continued his recovery from injury, playing the first 45 minutes in a 2-1 friendly victory over Huddersfield Town at Canalside Training Ground on Wednesday afternoon.

A Brad Holmes brace was enough to secure victory for the Seasiders, despite Matty Daly pulling a goal back for the hosts 10 minutes before the break.

Alongside Ekpiteta, several other first-team featured including Jordan Thorniley, Stuart Moore, James Husband, Cameron Antwi, Ethan Robson and Nathan Shaw.

Danny Ventre and John Murphy took charge of ‘Pool, and it was the visitors who started on the front foot through Rob Apter, though his effort from 18-yards was held well by Giosue Bellagambi.

Holmes then looked to open the scoring when he picked up a loose ball and drove into the area, but he eventually dragged his shot inches wide.

However, it didn’t take long for Holmes to get himself on the scoresheet. Apter’s strike from distance was parried away by Bellagambi, but only into Holmes’ path. He made no mistake and rifled a left-footed strike into the net.

The hosts responded well after going a goal down as Josh Koroma burst forward from midfield to force a corner, though Marvin Ekpiteta was there to clear any danger from the set-piece.

That spurred the Seasiders on, who were continuing to play some nice, slick football, which eventually presented Holmes with his second of the game. Apter received the ball in the final third to lay Holmes off, and with a first-time effort, he curled beautifully around Tommy Elphick and past Bellagambi.

Again, Huddersfield responded well through Jaden Brown, but a smart save from Moore kept the Terriers at bay.

Pressure started to build, though, when Alex Pritchard whipped a free-kick into the danger zone towards Romoney Chrichlow with the centre half going close, glancing a header wide.

Then, the home side halved the deficit when Matty Daly drifted in from the left and skidded the ball under Moore at the near post.

Half-Time: Huddersfield 1-2 Blackpool

Blackpool made several changes at the break; Jack Moore, Will Squires, Tayt Trusty, Luke Mariette and Ewan Bange came on to replace Ekpiteta, Thorniley, Husband, Robson and Holmes.

The half certainly didn’t start in the same way the first 45 did, with no clear-cut chances for either side until 10 minutes in.

Huddersfield won a free-kick on the edge of the area, though Moore watched Kieran Phillips’ attempt sail over the bar.

Myles Bright, who replaced Alex Pritchard in the first half, came alive on 70 minutes as he shimmied his way in from the left flank to get a shot away, but Moore held well.

Moore had to be on guard again five minutes later when the ball fell to Ben Jackson inside the area, though his piledriver was kept out by the Blackpool shot-stopper.

The Terriers were unlucky not to be level through Daly. First, he worked some space on the edge of the 18-yard box, firing an effort wide before the two Moore’s in Stuart and Jack combined on the goalline to somehow keep him out in the final few minutes of the game. 

Full-Time: Huddersfield Town 1-2 Blackpool

First-half XI: Moore, Sinclair, Husband, Thorniley, Ekpiteta, Robson, Apter, Antwi, Holmes, Trialist, Shaw.

Second-half XI: S.Moore, J.Moore, Shaw (70’ Trialist), Sinclair, Squires, Trusty, Apter, Antwi, Mariette, Bange, Trialist.

Advertisement block