Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Youth Team Report: Blackpool 4 Salford City 2

18 January 2021

The under-18’s came from two goals down to beat Salford City 4-2 in their first game of the New Year in the North West Youth Alliance on Saturday.

Danny Ventre’s side started brightly in the opening five minutes but were quickly pegged back when Diego Ghaly headed Salford into the lead.

They doubled their tally midway through the first half, as Tom Shepherd fired into the bottom corner.

However, half-time brought an opportunity for the young Seasiders to regroup, and they did just that. Just four minutes into the second half, Brad Holmes powerfully headed past Brad Rose to halve the deficit.

Matty Liptrott then got in on the act, before Holmes went on to grab his second and third of the morning to send the Seasiders home with all three points.

Liptrott – who returned from injury to captain the side – almost put his side ahead early on with a volley from the edge of the area, though Rose was equal to it and parried the ball to safety.

The good start, however, didn’t last long, as Diego Ghaly met Phil Perry’s left-footed cross to head past Charlie Monks.

Ventre’s side showed glimpses of quality. Luke Mariette played a fantastic floated ball over the top of the visitors’ defence to Rob Apter, but he fired wide from just outside of the 18-yard box.

Moments later, Salford doubled their lead through Tom Shepherd, who smashed a half volley into the bottom corner.

Apter was slowly growing into the game. This time, he picked the ball up out wide to drive at Perry and cut in, but his well-driven shot was saved by Rose.

Just before the break, Holmes and Sky Sinclair went close with a header and right-footed effort respectively, though Blackpool had to settle for what they already had going into the break.

Half-time: Blackpool 0-2 Salford City

Salford, expectedly, came out of the blocks firing with Shepherd going close with a free-kick. However, that didn’t last long, as the Seasiders turned on the style.

Holmes was looking to pick up where he left off just before Christmas, and with 49 minutes on the clock, he did just that.

Luke Mariette found space on the left to whip a cross into the danger zone, and with a massive leap, Holmes struck into the top corner of the goal with a header.

Mariette and Holmes combined again just two minutes later, but Holmes shot just over the bar.

James Harrison, who was back in the starting line-up, was played through on goal by a terrific Sinclair pass, though he was denied by the on-rushing Rose.

With the young Seasiders now pushing on, Liptrott pulled his side level. Jak Wood’s whipped ball into the box found its way to Liptrott. He worked it back onto his left foot and beautifully curled it around the Salford shirts and into the net.

Now Holmes had an eye for goal, he wanted more, and more he got. Somehow, the number nine swivelled on the by-line and squeezed a shot inside the near post.

Then, just two-minutes later, Holmes’ hat-trick was complete. He picked the ball up deep in the Salford half and burst his way through the visitors’ defence to blast the ball past Rose, almost taking the net off in the process.

Just before time was called, Harrison had an opportunity to make it five but fired wide.

Full-time: Blackpool 4-2 Salford City

Advertisement block