Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 3 Oxford United 3

21 May 2021

Blackpool reached the League One Play-Off Final on Friday evening, thanks to 3-3 draw on the night and 6-3 win on aggregate.

Goals from Elliot Embleton, Kenny Dougall ensured Blackpool reached the Final, after Oxford took the lead and equalised twice in the game.

Oxford took the lead in the opening five minutes. Matty Taylor capitalized on a rare mistake at the back for the Seasiders, to fire a shot past Chris Maxwell.

Buoyed by an incredible support of 4,000, Blackpool equalised less than five minutes later. Elliot Embleton, who was urged to pass to the overlapping Luke Garbutt, decided to cut inside and go to alone, curling a wonderful effort past Stevens in the Oxford goal from the edge of the area.

And the Seasiders remarkably took the lead just three minutes later. A poorly cleared corner fell to Kenny Dougall at the back post, who looped a shot over Stevens and made it 2-1.

Demetri Mitchell tried his luck from range on the half hour mark, with his shot going wide of the goal.

With both sides having a flurry of chances towards the end of the first 45 minutes, the half ended with Blackpool in front on the night and with an impressive 5-1 lead on aggregate.

Half-time: Blackpool 2 Oxford United 1

Oxford hit the post in the opening three minutes of the second half, with James Henry will-hit effort smacking against the post.

The visitors made it 2-2 on the night just minutes later though, with Rob Atkinson heading back across goal and into Chris Maxwell’s net after a deep free kick.

But, what a response from the Seasiders in what was proving to be and end-to-end match, with Jerry Yates getting in on the action just minutes later. A cross from Demetri Mitchell on the right was collected well by Yates, who steadied himself and fired past Stevens.

With the score now 6-2 to the Pool on aggregate, there was no let-up. Kenny Dougall won possession incredibly well in the middle of the park and spread it wide to Demetri Mitchell, who’s quick ball was met by Ellis Simms, but his effort glanced the side netting.

Oxford equalised for the second time in the match to make it 3-3 on 74 minutes, through Olamide Shodipo’s effort following a goal mouth scramble.

All the damage was done though, and Blackpool will play either Sunderland or Lincoln City in the Sky Bet League One Play-Off Final at Wembley Stadium a on Sunday 30th May.

Full-time: Blackpool 3 Oxford United 3

Team: Maxwell, Turton, Ballard (45’ Ekpiteta), Husband, Garbutt, Dougall, Stewart, Mitchell (73’ Gabriel), Embleton (73’ Anderson), Simms (73’ Madine), Yates.

Subs Not Used: Moore, Thorniley, Robson.

Advertisement block