Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Youth Team Report: Accrington Stanley 3 Blackpool 3

9 May 2021

The youth team were left to settle for a point against Accrington Stanley in the Youth Alliance on Saturday, after conceding in the last seconds of the game in a 3-3 draw.

Rob Apter’s second-half strike looked to have sealed the three points at a very wet and windy Stanley Sports Hub, but Matt Carson salvaged a point for his side with a powerful header from a late corner.

Arnold Matshazi and Johnny Johnstone had the young Seasiders ahead after half an hour before Accrington pegged them back through Luke Stowe and Emerich Poilly.

Danny Ventre welcomed back Joe Strawn from injury to start in the middle of the park, while Will Squires also started at the heart of the back four.

Blackpool got off to a flyer in the opening five minutes when Arnold Matshazi latched onto Seb Wyllie’s floated ball over the top of the Stanley defence to finish powerfully past Matt Clayton.

The hosts looked for a reply when Carson ventured forward from the left-back position and struck from distance, but Charlie Monks was equal to it and kept him out.

In control of the game, the Seasiders had a chance to double their lead when Johnstone cut the ball back to James Harrison for him to have a free shot on goal, though he hit it straight at Clayton.

Stanley were creating chances of their own, and it was Stowe who wriggled his way into the box with just Monks to beat. He tried to poke it around the Blackpool shot-stopper and into the net, but a strong hand denied the winger.

Joe Strawn and James Harrison were both unlucky just a few seconds before the 30-minute mark. Strawn had an effort cleared off the line before Harrison followed up on the rebound to hit the woodwork with a header.

In the end, the pressure told on the Stanley defence when Harrison cut the ball back to Johnstone on the edge of the six-yard box, who despatched comfortably past Clayton to double the Seasiders’ lead.

Accrington went in search of a goal to halve the deficit, which they did five minutes before the half-time whistle. Lewis Trickett got beyond the Blackpool backline and squared to Stowe, who slotted into an empty net.

Just a minute later and a minute before the interval, the hosts pulled level. After strong penalty claims were waved away for the home side, a corner came in from the right onto the head of Poilly, who directed an effort into the top corner from 8-yards out.

Half-Time: Accrington Stanley 2 Blackpool 2

Accrington came out full of belief at the start of the half, and they nearly added a third when Poilly found himself through on goal, but Monks was out quick to dive at the feet of the midfielder and gather the ball into his chest.

Apter was growing into the game, also, as he cut in from the right-wing and sent a low effort to Clayton’s near post, but the Stanley ‘keeper got down well to keep the scoreline level.

With 20 minutes left to play, Apter got his reward when he was sent racing through on goal by Sky Sinclair. Apter, with nobody around, calmly slotted through Clayton’s legs to put the Young Seasiders ahead.

Still, Accrington were pushing, and they wouldn’t lie down. Carson did well to shrug off his man and put a ball across the six-yard box to Calvin Harper, who had an open net at his disposal but somehow, he put his effort wide.

Jake Daniels then tried to catch Clayton out when he attempted to sneak one in at the near post, but the ‘keeper got down well to prevent ‘Pool from furthering their lead.

Little did Clayton know it would prove to be a crucial save. With just 20 seconds left on the clock, Accrington had a chance to swing one last corner in, and it was met by Carson, who used all the power he had to head past Monks.

Full-Time: Accrington Stanley 3 Blackpool 3

Blackpool: Monks, Goumou, Wyllie, Sinclair (74’ Fitzgerald), Squires, Strawn (61’ Trusty), Apter, Mariette, Johnstone (70’ Daniels), Matshazi (45’ Yelegon), Harrison.

Unused subs: McLachlan.

Advertisement block