Youth Team Report: Blackpool 3 Shrewsbury Town 2

It was the perfect day for Blackpool as they capped off a game against Shrewsbury Town with a 3-2 comeback victory on Saturday.

In a game played at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium, home of Bamber Bridge FC, the young Seasiders were victorious after coming back from two goals down to win 3-2. Goals from Johnny Johnston, James Harrison and a delightful free-kick from Jack Moore, sealed the deal.

It was the perfect day for football, the pitch was in immaculate condition, the sun was shining and it was looking good from the outset for Blackpool.

John Murphy told his side to go out there with enthusiasm and stop Shrewsbury creating any real clear cut chances.

At the start of the game, it seemed like Blackpool were struggling to break the visitors down and the team from Shropshire dominated possession.

However, once Blackpool calmed themselves down and got a foot on the ball, Luke Mariette had a shot which was saved well by the Shrewsbury goalkeeper, after a nice cross from Arnold Matshazi.

As much as Shrewsbury dictated the game in the first half, they only really threatened Blackpool in the middle of the park with their short passing. They themselves struggled to create any real openings. The Loggerheads continued to play the diagonal ball constantly to Pool’s left hand-side, however left back, Isaac Evans was there to always clear the danger.

A chance from Johnny Johnston ended the half, after a nice passage of play his shot was saved by the keeper. 

Half-Time: Blackpool 0 Shrewsbury Town 0

After not creating many chances in the first half, Shrewsbury knew they had to come out firing in the second half and they did just that when they took the lead through Louis Lloyd in the 52nd minute.

It only took them two minutes and they doubled their lead. Striker, Jenson Cooper the man to score on the half turn in Blackpool’s box. It wasn’t to be in the early exchanges of the second half for the Seasiders as Shrewsbury’s game plan seemed to be coming to fruition.

However, five minutes of Blackpool pressing told when they got themselves back in the game with a fine finish from Johnston. The number nine held his run well to finish the hardest chance of the game.

Suddenly then, with half an hour to go, the game sparked into life. It felt like a real end to end game mid way through the second half.

Wingers almost always never get the credit for assisting strikers with their goals but this time Harrison was able to get some plaudits. He scored a tap in in the 63rd minute to level the game up and from that point on, Shrewsbury had their backs against the wall.

The away side couldn’t get a foothold in the game, it seemed they’d given all they could and it was then just a case of when Murphy’s side find a winner. Up stepped Jack Moore.

The young Seasiders won themselves a free-kick and there was only one man who was going to take it. After scoring one last weekend against Bolton, Moore scored his second in two games as he scored the match winner for Blackpool to complete a terrific comeback victory.

With 13 minutes to go, it was all about game management for Blackpool and they really had to show their character to keep themselves in the lead and grind out a fantastic win.

Full-Time: Blackpool 3 Shrewsbury Town 2 

By Callum Insull

Related News

Mitchell Completes Move To Hibernian

Mitchell Completes Move To Hibernian

Read More
Thorniley Returns From Loan Spell

Thorniley Returns From Loan Spell

Read More
Bowler Takes The Lead In Beaverbrooks Man of the Match Award Race

Bowler Takes The Lead In Beaverbrooks Man of the Match Award Race

Read More

You need to be logged in to watch this video.